Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fresh start

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 C3rcaTr0va

C3rcaTr0va

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:40 AM

I have an 220gb SSD that has became cluttered with junk. I would like to just reformat it and start fresh. However when I try to format the drive it will not let me because the os is presently still on the drive. What would the easiest method be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:47 AM

Hi C3rcaTr0va :)

Of course, you cannot format your drive where Windows is when it's in use. So you'll have to format during the installation of Windows 10. The easiest method is to launch the Windows 10 installation, select the "Advanced" installation route, then click on each partitions you have on your SSD, and select Delete so they all merge in one big allocated space and then install Windows 10 on it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 C3rcaTr0va

C3rcaTr0va
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:41 AM

That is what I figured. Thanks but since I updated from 8.1 to 10 I will have to reinstall 8.1 then update. This time I will clone the SSD so I do not have to go through all this again.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:42 AM

You don't have to do that. You can create an installation media using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, and proceed to clean install Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 C3rcaTr0va

C3rcaTr0va
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:08 AM

Ok Thank You. I will give it a try tonight.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:08 AM

No problem :) Let us know how it goes!

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users