Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading PC with a better Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin384

Kevin384

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:32 AM

Hi all,

I intend to upgrade my present Mobo (Problem Child!!) :

Gigabyte GA-Z97-DH3

Core i5 4600

16GB ram

With:

ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO

Core i5 6600

16GB ram.

I do not wish to do a re-install of the OS, as I have lost the installers for a number of my applications.

What issues could I expect with this hardware upgrade?

1) Possible problems with Win 10 (Build 10586.420) activation? (My main concern).

2) Conflicts with the existing drivers for the old MOBO? Specifically the chipset drivers.

Any comments would be welcome.

TIA,

Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:23 PM

If you wait until after August 2nd, then you will not have any problems installing Windows 10 on your new motherboard.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-tweaks-activation-rules-for-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:32 PM

Replacing your computer’s motherboard or CPU will likely be so big a change that it prevents the PC from automatically activating. Windows 10 will see it as a different hardware configuration, one which isn’t allowed to have the free upgrade. With Windows 10 Threshold 2 November update Windows 10 activation process allowed you to use your Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 product keys for activation.

"Activate Windows 10 Using Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 Product Key"

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617750/activate-windows-10-using-windows-7-8-or-81-product-key/

Change Motherboard Without Fresh Install of Windows

https://youtu.be/JZn_hSlT0zk

Edited by FreeBooter, 29 June 2016 - 01:33 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:54 PM

Replacing your computer’s motherboard or CPU will likely be so big a change that it prevents the PC from automatically activating. Windows 10 will see it as a different hardware configuration, one which isn’t allowed to have the free upgrade. With Windows 10 Threshold 2 November update Windows 10 activation process allowed you to use your Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 product keys for activation.

"Activate Windows 10 Using Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 Product Key"

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617750/activate-windows-10-using-windows-7-8-or-81-product-key/

Change Motherboard Without Fresh Install of Windows

https://youtu.be/JZn_hSlT0zk

Read the link in the post right before your post.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:07 PM

Microsoft says the new feature to link a digital license to a Microsoft account is in Windows 10 build 14371 or later. I have one PC that performed this connection automatically. I have not yet been able to test the manual linking process. Well how long do you want OP to wait for this upgrade to new build do you know when this update will be release to public?

I provided another method OP can choice to follow your advice or mind that is not mater what is matter is that we provide answers to OP questions.

Posted Image

#6 Kevin384

Kevin384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:44 PM

Ok,I have the windows 10 November update on my machine, with a further update to ver.420.
Where do I go from here? It appears that it would benefit me to do a clean reinstall after
the installation of the new hardware, and try to find my s/ware installers and see if I
can recover the keys from the various s/ware vendors where I made the purchases.
I will try the solution for re-activation as explained in thr link provided in the BC forums. I am downloadig the latest .iso at the moment.
Will let you know what I decide on with a later post to this topic.

Edited by Kevin384, 29 June 2016 - 03:47 PM.

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:03 PM

Well all depends on you if you want to clean install Windows 10 then you can activate Windows 10 with Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or Windows 10 product keys or you can follow the instructions at youtube video posted by Britec09 and activate Windows 10 using Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or Windows 10 product keys. You can upgrade your currently installed Windows 10 to Windows 10 Threshold 2 Version 1511 from Windows Update. To view Windows 10 current version type Winver into Run dialog box press 7W6b39o.png keys to open Run dialog box.

Use Command Prompt or PowerShell to find Windows Product Key

Edited by FreeBooter, 29 June 2016 - 04:04 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Kevin384

Kevin384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:49 AM

Well all depends on you if you want to clean install Windows 10 then you can activate Windows 10 with Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or Windows 10 product keys or you can follow the instructions at youtube video posted by Britec09 and activate Windows 10 using Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or Windows 10 product keys. You can upgrade your currently installed Windows 10 to Windows 10 Threshold 2 Version 1511 from Windows Update. To view Windows 10 current version type Winver into Run dialog box press 7W6b39o.png keys to open Run dialog box.

Sorry for the late reply Freebooter, was away in dreamland until about an hour ago!!

I already have 10 Theshold 2 1511 on my machine, the winver gives a reply  of "Windows 10 1511(OS Build 10586.420)", so I may get away with Britec09's method - have actually saved the link to my PC.

I haven't received the new components yet, hopefully will today (South African time), or the latest on Monday 07/04/2106.

Will post back after I have finished the upgrade.

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:54 AM

Good luck with the upgrade!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users