Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu possibly dropping 32bit? goodbye easy linux for 32bit users

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:14 AM

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/06/ubuntu-drop-32-bit-desktop-iso-image-installer

Man soon you will need to learn Arch are debian pure if you are a 32biut user.

Also goodbye linux lite

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:42 AM

I can see how this makes sense.

In addition to what the article says, 32 bit computers tend to be older, and modern version of Ubuntu don't work on many older computers anyway. As Ubuntu introduces support for new hardware, and drops support for older hardware, the number of older computers that Ubuntu will work on, declines.

With an ever decreasing number of potential users, it's only a matter of time before other distributions stop releasing 32 bit versions too.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:12 AM

Well, that would screw me with my ancient AMD XP Athlon running Ubuntu 32bit. 

#4 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 493 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:52 AM

cat /proc/cpuinfo

for us.  The CPU may actually be 64bit capable, but if the box originally had XP on it, you may have been mislead by what you could run.

It may still be a 32 bit CPU, but we could check.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:16 AM

cat /proc/cpuinfo

for us.  The CPU may actually be 64bit capable, but if the box originally had XP on it, you may have been mislead by what you could run.

It may still be a 32 bit CPU, but we could check.

Yes, its a 32bit CPU. Checked with GRC's Securable

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:01 PM

Looks like people will have to move to puppy or get new machines.

#7 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:07 PM

Good Job Canonical, you are starting to become Crapple.

So basically everyone running 32 bit won't be supported? way to dig your own grave haha, better download the Distros you want now while they're still available.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#8 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,419 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:02 PM

So basically everyone running 32 bit won't be supported? way to dig your own grave haha, better download the Distros you want now while they're still available.

Nah I disagree. There are barely any 32bit machines out there anymore, and there sure isn't any being made. Everything is now 64bit. So really they are just going with the times. Sure some people may have 32bit stuff, but they can go use puppy or something similar that will probably still have 32bit OSes.

Another 5 years and most of those 32bit machines that are out there will probably be dead, or forgotten.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#9 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:07 PM

Nah I disagree. There are barely any 32bit machines out there anymore, and there sure isn't any being made. Everything is now 64bit. So really they are just going with the times. Sure some people may have 32bit stuff, but they can go use puppy or something similar that will probably still have 32bit OSes.

Another 5 years and most of those 32bit machines that are out there will probably be dead, or forgotten.

So, does that mean windows will stop 32 bit as well, if so they screw themselves. not everyone wants 64 bit you know.

then im going to boycott Canonical if they want to do that to their users. end of story. i am NOT happy that they decided to do that, bye ubuntu :)

Edited by Viper_Security, 29 June 2016 - 07:19 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:54 PM

I can see their point in dropping 32 bit, It costs money to maintain stuff, And its not just Ubuntu thats doing this, People who make browsers are also dropping support for 32 bit.

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:21 AM

People who make browsers are also dropping support for 32 bit.

Indeed. Anyone who refuses to use software from companies that drop 32 bit software, isn't going to have much to choose from.

Edited by Al1000, 30 June 2016 - 12:22 AM.

#12 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,419 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:47 AM

So, does that mean windows will stop 32 bit as well, if so they screw themselves. not everyone wants 64 bit you know.

then im going to boycott Canonical if they want to do that to their users. end of story. i am NOT happy that they decided to do that, bye ubuntu :)

I'm pretty sure Windows doesn't have anything 32bit wise for W10. They may not have for 8 either.

There really makes no sense to have 32bit OSes anymore. If your system does 64bit (and everything that is new does) should be run as such. It has better performance, and security. So why not run 64bit?

So I am not really sure why you are so mad at Conical following the trend and getting rid of 32bit support. By the time their current releases get phased out (which still have the 32bit support) you won't need anything that is 32bit.

Even for the few that happen to have some dirt old systems that are still running, and they want to use Linux, there are better choices than Ubuntu anyway. Ubuntu has always been more bleeding edge and needed newer systems to run on.

At some point companies need to help make the change, and advance technology. Not hinder it.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 30 June 2016 - 08:48 AM.

#13 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 493 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:12 AM

At one point everyone only need 640K of RAM.  :)

32 bit consumer systems aren't being made anymore, simply because the cost of 64bit systems has come way down.  There is likely still a market for 32 bit embedded systems, but even at that, 64bit makes more sense for most things.

32 bit distributions are "needed" so folks don't have to throw away an old system;  at some point the cost to keep that old system running outweighs the usefulness of it.

If it's a laptop, check on getting a battery.  How about hard drives?  Lot's of the 32 bit systems will be restricted in the size they can boot from because of the BIOS.

Another advantage of a newer system is the level of integration.  How many folks here remember when a PC needed a separate video card, floppy controller, harddisk controller, network card, soundblaster cards in order to work?  ISA and setting jumpers to avoid IRQ conflicts?    Things of the past;  a typical motherboard now has more than 1 video output, more than 1 network interface, disk controllers, audio and USB all built in.  You gain lower power requirements but you give up repairibility (that's why Dell replaces your mb if there is a problem).

At some point in time consumer 32 bit systems will wind up on the recyle pile.  Cheaper for sw companies to move away from that support; the earlier the more they save.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:28 AM

Windows 10 does have a 32bit version.

• 64-bit or 32-bit processor (CPU). You’ll create either the 64-bit or 32-bit version of Windows 10 that’s appropriate for your CPU. To check this on your PC, go to PC info in PC settings or System in Control Panel, and look for System type.

#15 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,419 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:40 AM

Windows 10 does have a 32bit version.

• 64-bit or 32-bit processor (CPU). You’ll create either the 64-bit or 32-bit version of Windows 10 that’s appropriate for your CPU. To check this on your PC, go to PC info in PC settings or System in Control Panel, and look for System type.

I stand corrected then. Though doubt they actually sell many, or any, 32bit versions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users