Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinking of switching from Avast to Bitdefender, any advice?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:01 AM

I need a new antivirus since Avast has become terrible*, I'm thinking of going with Bitdefender free. Any advice or caveats (pro or con) you guys could give me?

(*Avast's actual anti-virus is probably just as good as ever, but, Avast now automatically installs other softwares like a web browser even when you had it set to manual updates. I refuse to run any software on my computer that will randomly install other software whenever it wants to without asking me. That's malware behavior.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,092 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:56 AM

avast! Free Antivirus has been becoming more of a disappointment for the past several years and I no longer recommend it.Further, since Avast acquired AVG and Piriform (CCleaner), avast made a marketing decision to bundle CCleaner and other unnecessary software...Avast Cleanup is promoted as the "Next generation tuneup and cleanup for your PC".Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons...read Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools. The use of cleaning and tuneup utilities installs numerous files, folders and registry entries throughout the operating system making removal of the anti-virus software more difficult.

And finally there have been many user complaints about avast pushing a support package for $180 offered by a third party which prefers to take remote control of your computer in order to fix problems.

If folks are looking for a free alternative I generally recommend recommend Kaspersky Free Antivirus, Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if they prefer not to use Windows 10 Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials, the free solution for Windows 7 and Vista SP1/SP2 that combines the features of an anti-virus and anti-malware scanner to provide real-time protection.

For those who do not mind a paid for product, I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program which includes more details why Windows Defender Antivirus with Exploit Guard designed protect against ransomware attacks is a very good choice.

Keep in mind that all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software except Bitdefender Free, Sophos Home, Microsoft Security Essentials, and Windows 8/10 Defender.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Junior2007

Junior2007

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:27 PM

Seems that many of the "Free" anti virus software programs are slowly going by the wayside with add ons and such. I used Bitdefender Free AV for a long time with great satisfaction but upgraded a while back to Emsisoft Anti Malware and am very happy with it.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,092 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:00 AM

An offer of free anti-virus or anti-malware software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 sparklestar

sparklestar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:57 AM

You can't disable data sharing with bit defender free. You appear to be able to disable data sharing with Avast free, but now that I look more into the topic of AV data sharing, I don't know what to think, perhaps it still snoops even if you disable those options.

But Bit Defender free doesn't even have the option to opt-out.

Is there a free antivirus that doesn't force you to share tons of data with them? I'm guessing there isn't. Also I have no confidence that the paid products are any different.

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:19 AM

Quite the contrary - Emsisoft (which is paid) allows you to turn off data sharing if you want, and they do not send anything that can compromise your privacy (see here for a report by AV-Comparatives on data transmission in AV products).

As far as I know all free AVs transmit your data by default, and some even sell your data to third parties (there was one vendor doing that, I forgot which one) to pay for the costs of maintaining a free AV. As for paid AVs it depends on the company's policies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users