Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Remove Hard Drive Cage from Desktop computer(HP Pavilion p6620f)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 KArthur92

KArthur92

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:20 AM

Hello,

I am trying to replace the hard drive on my desktop computer(HP Pavilion p6620f), but I am currently having trouble with removing the metal cage that encloses the hard drive. This is the recommended method of replacing the hard drive, according to these instructions: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/359309/Hp-Pavilion-P6230f.html?page=21#manual

I am stuck on step 13 from that manual in particular. I push down on the "#1" latch, and pull forward, but it's not sliding forward. I am unsure what I am doing wrong, but the thing is not moving. Additionally, I removed the motherboard to remove the screws on the side of the cage to remove the hard drive instead of the metal cage and I am also unable to remove the hard drive from the cage.  Do you guys have any idea what I may be doing wrong or just any method you have in mind to safely remove this thing? I attached a picture of what I am working with. Thank you

Attached File  IMG_20160629_061051520.jpg   94.55KB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:24 AM

Appears to me that you using the wrong manual, see Here .

Louis

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,065 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:40 AM

Ooh I did battle with one of these babies once, was a pain in the arse tooo

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 KArthur92

KArthur92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:41 AM

Appears to me that you using the wrong manual, see Here .

Louis

Thank you, but that manual seems to have identical instructions as the one I was using before for removing the hard drive.

Ooh I did battle with one of these babies once, was a pain in the arse tooo

Yeah, it seems to have a frustratingly poor design or I am just a retard.

Edited by KArthur92, 29 June 2016 - 10:44 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,994 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:02 AM

On the bracket with the two screws (2) in image 13, I would give it a light tap with a hammer while pressing the latch. This may be enough to break it loose. 

#6 KArthur92

KArthur92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:40 AM

On the bracket with the two screws (2) in image 13, I would give it a light tap with a hammer while pressing the latch. This may be enough to break it loose. 

Thank you, but it didn't work. I am not sure how hard I am supposed to tap it with the hammer, but I would say I tapped it relatively hard, and it's still not budging.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,994 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:05 PM

If you tapped it relatively hard and it did not budge I would not go further. You may want to take it to a good computer shop and see how much they would charge to get it out. 

Edit: See this video. There seems to be two extra screws at the bottom of the cage.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 June 2016 - 12:10 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:13 PM

sawzall_zpsfbadj0bg.png :whistle:

Edited by dc3, 29 June 2016 - 12:13 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 KArthur92

KArthur92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:21 PM

If you tapped it relatively hard and it did not budge I would not go further. You may want to take it to a good computer shop and see how much they would charge to get it out. 

Edit: See this video. There seems to be two extra screws at the bottom of the cage.

Bro, thanks so much for that video. Apparently, I am a retard. After a lot of force, I managed to take the thing out.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,994 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:04 PM

Your Welcome. So your cage had two extra screws at the bottom?

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 June 2016 - 01:04 PM.

#11 KArthur92

KArthur92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:41 PM

Your Welcome. So your cage had two extra screws at the bottom?

No, I was just doing it incorrectly. The bottom of the metal cage has 4 latches and it connects to 4 empty slots at the bottom of the case. There were 2 extra screws on the side of the cage keeping the hard drive in place, however.

#12 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:52 PM

I'm sorry I wasn't able to get this up quick enough.  My knuckles will tell you all about those "Press down and slide forward" passages in the HP manuals.  A client bought dozens and wanted larger hard drives installed.  The cases were a solid 35 to 20 in the injury department.  Many bandaids and anti-biotic cream later, there was no easy solution.  Some required just a solid push on the tab, others, as revealed took substantial force to disengage the latch.  Reverse dis-assembly, approaching from the other side just complicates the matter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users