Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Boot Configuration Data is missing, Error Code 0xc0000185

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TheCoolestBoi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:55 AM

This is the error message that my computer had:

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors

Error code: 0xc0000185

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you dont have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.

Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings"

I made a recovery drive and set the UEFI to a USB boot, and when I tried to boot it with a blank USB it didnt recognize it, but when I used the recovery usb it recognized it. I did that to check and see if it actually recognized the recovery data.

Now when I boot it just has the Lenovo screen and the swirling dots. it's been doing this for about a half hour. Is this normal or is there an issued with the hatdware?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:51 AM

The Error code: 0xc0000185 is an I/O error.

This can be a hardware problem or a software problem.

So the first thing to do is to run diagnostics on the hard drive ( http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html )

If you have difficulties booting to the disk/drive, post back and we'll see about changing some settings in the UEFI to allow the boot.

I'm working on a drive that will do this for you, but it's still in the testing phase (and it's a 700+ mB download).

If the drive is dead/dying, you may have problems trying to recover your data.
Do you have a recent backup?  If not, post back for suggestions on how to best backup your information.

FYI - if it is dying, then it's best not to use the drive at all until you've done the backup.

If the drive does die fully, then data recovery gets very expensive (up to $2000 (US)) if it's even possible.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users