Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question On Restoring A Backup System Image

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ryevick

ryevick

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:29 PM

Two questions:

Can I restore a windows backup system image to a laptop that it was not created on? Both are ASUS Windows 7 64 laptops.

Could I restore that same image to a Windows 10 laptop and run Windows 7 instead of 10? Both ASUS 64-bit.

Thanks!

Edited by ryevick, 28 June 2016 - 09:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:01 AM

What software was used to create this "system image"?  Whatever the documentation for that software indicates is plausible...there is no standard "system image" created by the varying software developers.

Since it's a laptop and the install was for a specific model of laptop...I should think that trying to restore any backup from a different OEM system (one with different hardware components, system settings)...would fail.  But that's just being logical...I've never tried such.

Louis

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:58 AM

You can if you are using Macrium Reflect for your backups and create a Macrium Reflect emergency boot disk from their installation; if you are using a different product or if you are using the backup utility that comes with Windows, I do not know.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:48 AM

While the restores might work aok, you will probably run smack into the OEM [one manufacturer one computer one install] brick wall, and will be unable to activate the Windows.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:12 AM

Are you referring to cloning software to create a image, or are you referring to the System Recovery Partition?

Since this is a laptop we know that this is a OEM version of Windows.  If you introduce a image of this version to different hardware it may not even boot.  Even if it were to boot you would not be able to activate it.  This is how Microsoft prevents this type of use of the operating system.

If you are attempting to copy the recovery partition, you may be able to use software like Macrium Reflect to copy all of your partitions, including the recovery partition.  But you will run into the same problem explained above.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 ryevick

ryevick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for all of your replies!

It was a Windows Backup (which creates a system image as part of the backup). So, yeah, might not work.

Or...

Could I just take my laptop hard drive out and place it in another laptop and just boot up? I would think that might have a better chance of working, not sure.

Just FYI, the OS and drive are fine. The laptop took a really short but awkward drop and surprisingly fried something related to video on the motherboard... it's gone... the screen looks hideous.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:05 PM

You are still looking at the same problem.  This is a OEM version of Windows.  It can only be installed on one computer, and only one time.  

If the computer had the exact same motherboard and CPU you might get away with installing it in the other computer.  But I wouldn't bet on it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:27 AM

There is one solution, purchase from a real source a true-blue Microsoft Windows 7 Professional [for example] 32-64 bit pack.  I did that for my two laptops -- hence, there are at least two known laptops that no longer have OEM Windows.  Do not purchase from eBay or Amazon.  For example, I purchased two from Altex Electronics [Austin store] and one [for my desktop] from Fry's Electronics.  Make absolutely certain, "measure thrice," buy once, you are getting a NON-OEM, non-Starter/BuilderPack, a true-blue Microsoft Windows 7 32-64-bit pack; it will be expensive, approximately the cost of 30 packs of cigarettes [so if you smoke, cold-turkey it awhile].

Edited by RolandJS, 28 July 2016 - 07:28 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users