Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Don't You Hate It When A Small Project Isn't As Small As It Seems?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:53 PM

Don't know about you guys, but I often start out with a small thing I want to do, and it just seems to start growing while I'm working on it. I've been a bit absent on the forums lately, because a small project I'm working on (for "fun") has become more work than I originally expected :P. Miss you guys.

Anyone else been working on anything interesting lately?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:26 PM

Installing Linux mint on many PC's and then setting them all up to do what I need them to do.....turned into something bigger than Ben Hur !

Like yourself....this started out as 'I'll just pop a linux distro on here and have a play around".........fast forward to 3 months later...!.....6 pc's all running on linux and Brian is still learning how to reinvent the wheel.....

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:31 PM

A few years ago we got a new refrigerator, as it was being taken into the house the front door got scratched it was only a small scratch you could hardly notice it.

So out came the paint brush for a quick touch up of said scratch,  Well of course you could see where I touched it up, So I had to paint the whole door, Then the door frame looked a bit ordinary next to the freshly painted door, then the window frames did not quite match the door frame and so on.

Cut a long story short I ended up repainting the whole house because of a little scratch on the front door.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:11 PM

It's called 'Stretch' - as in 'The job stretched'. It is also one of the facts of life, we all dread the 'friend' who comes to us and says 'I have a small problem . . .'

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:13 PM

.....oh....and....this'll only take you a couple of minutes.....its really simple....(yeah...so simple !...but if it were that simple then everybody would know how to do it wouldn't they ??!!)

(I repair small engines...mowers brushcutters stationary engines etc etc etc)

One of my stock standard answers is (depending on whether I am 'ticked off' by their approach)....it will cost you $50 to interrupt my workflow + $65 an hour after that....+ pmo compensation ("tick" me off money)......

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:33 PM

Video Editing.... :grinner:

Ever thought you would simply trim/cut that 3 minute nature study clip down to 60 seconds > including a title and transitions > send to YouTube ?

3 hours later...yawn...need more coffee... :woot:

#7 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 361 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:06 PM

Any such adventure I find myself engaged in usually starts with some variation of the following:

"I wonder what will happen if....?"

And upon beginning whatever it is, rest assured, no friend, relative or aquaintance who is so unlucky as to ask "What's going on?" will escape unscathed... :hysterical:

Whatever it was...I didn't do it!

#8 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:13 PM

Cut a long story short I ended up repainting the whole house because of a little scratch on the front door.

You take the prize I think :)

#9 snehacapoor

snehacapoor

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:19 AM

Any project is simple for our boss but it is not simple most of the time.

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,112 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:58 PM

@snehacapoor #9

But that is purely a matter of perspective - whether you are looking at it from the point of view of the manager handing out these little tasks, or the Indians who have to carry it out.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users