Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Redirect

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nappsie

nappsie

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:43 PM

Hello, this is my first posting and I apologize in advance for my absolute and complete ignorance.  I've been using a computer for many years and I'm an internet SEARCH expert.  That's the beginning and the end to what I'm good at with computers.  In a recent search I apparently picked up what I think is called "google redirect".  I would click on pretty much anything I'd bring up from a google search and would be sent to an antivirus ad or mcafee or microsoft or another random page I did not choose.  I've run everything I could find on Norton as well as Malwarebytes.  Nothing has worked although Malwarebytes did set me up with a 14 day trial that would SOMETIMES stop a redirect.  Anyway, I have tried to switch to Foxfire...which I did but didn't like.  Then tried Opera but it was not recognized by some sites I use so I went back to Foxfire.   As long as I use Foxfire, I am avoiding that redirect that I know is still lurking in the background of this HP Envy m6 which runs on AMD (bout all I know about it).  However, I DO NOT UNDERSTAND why Firefox searches using YAHOO????????? Isn't Firefox a search engine?  I'm so confused.  I would love any answers to either of my questions.  And I also understand if I've not provided enough background.  

Thank you much.  Although I've just now posted, I've searched your site many many times over the years for helpful information which reminds me I also tried to run an ESET scan but both times it would cancel right near the end.

Thank you much

Nappsie :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:53 PM

go Here download and install roguekiller, reboot pc after removing detections

Firefox is a web browser and not a search engine and thus can use any search engine much like Internet Explorer or Google Chrome

#3 nappsie

nappsie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:46 PM

Thank you The Triple Deuce.  I'll get right on this

#4 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:19 PM

that should clear up redirects for any browsers installed, if you still get redirects after let us know we have lots of ways to get things back to normal

#5 nappsie

nappsie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:26 AM

Thank you.  I'm just now getting back into my computer to see what's what!!!

#6 nappsie

nappsie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:52 PM

Well, the first time I ran it, it brought something very nasty in with it.  My fault I downloaded it from a different web site as for some reason it would not download directly from your location.  So I did a system restore that made things way worse.  I just ran the scan now and it found nothing but the redirects are all still there.  Going to try it again.  I could only get the 32 to run and I don't think that was "strong?" enough?  So going to try again.  Things do seem to be going from bad to worse.  Going to start the scan then I've got to leave for a while.  We'll see what I return to.

#7 nappsie

nappsie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:57 PM

Ah nope I guess I'm in over my head.  When I try to download the 32/64 one I can't find it.  Gotta take off but won't be able to run that scan unfortunately and this computer is a pitiful mess

#8 nappsie

nappsie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:50 PM

Was finally able to get the "64" to run.  Nothing was found and I've still got the problem

#9 nappsie

nappsie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:36 AM

Have run a different scan which appears to have cleared up the problem and I am using Firefox.  thanks much appreciate this site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users