Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access a FTP server through windows explorer

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:41 PM

Hello,

For some reason, a few computers cannot access the FTP Filezilla server through the windows explorer.

I have a private FTP Address and it is not being blocked by a firewall (since I opened up the ports on the computers having issues).

Attached is an error message that I am getting when trying to access the FTP.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 28 June 2016 - 04:38 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:50 PM

does each pc trying to access the ftp server have a username to access it? that error screen looks like you need to give permissions to the requesting pc to access the ftp pc

#3 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:52 PM

Yeah and I input the correct username and password and still gives me the error message.

#4 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:54 PM

is the ftp client accessing the correct port on the ftp server?

what is the error the server shows when you try and log on?

also possible you may have it set to only allow one instance at a time and another pc may be logged on

check the server side error ive seen somecases everything is correct but im trying to access a folder that doesn't exist or something

if the server side doesn't show a error when you try to connect that means the request isn't leaving the pc so try disable any and all anti virus and malware/firewalls and retry (ive had some cases when even a properly forwarded port denied the request)

Edited by TheTripleDeuce, 28 June 2016 - 04:00 PM.

#5 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:02 PM

The user believes that it could be a windows update issue since he has approx over 100 windows updates to update.

He is accessing the correct port on the server. It does not show an error on the server but he is able to ping the ftp ip address successfully.

I looked at the instances and everything seems ok there. The correct folder is setup  for all the users to access.

#6 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:10 PM

oh definitely install windows updates and try again ive seen them stop even internet explorer from running fine while they sit idle waiting to be installed

also make sure to allow not only the port but the program through the firewall

Edited by TheTripleDeuce, 28 June 2016 - 04:11 PM.

#7 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:17 PM

I have tested it out on three different clients and works okay, just a couple of clients cannot access it. I disabled the firewall and would still not work, so hopefully windows updates clears this issue.

#8 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:21 PM

yeah I could definitely see the updates being the issue, do all the pc's trying to access the server have pending updates? I noticed you said "a few computers" in the OP

#9 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:24 PM

From what I am aware of, just one computer. The updates were not pending when were trying to access the FTP. We just thought that installing the updates might clear up the issue. 

Like I said before, he is able to ping the ip address ok, we just cannot access the Filezilla FTP server for some reason.

We even tried putting in a different port number since I allotted approx 12 port numbers in filezilla.

Edited by walkfacefirst, 28 June 2016 - 04:26 PM.

#10 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:04 PM

On the computers that can't access the FTP via explorer, have you tried with internet explorer or a 3rd party client like Filezilla? If nothing else, perhaps it would give a more helpful error message. 

If a 3rd party client works, but explore/internet explorer does not, then +1 install MS updates.

#11 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:18 PM

On the computers that can't access the FTP via explorer, have you tried with internet explorer or a 3rd party client like Filezilla? If nothing else, perhaps it would give a more helpful error message. 

If a 3rd party client works, but explore/internet explorer does not, then +1 install MS updates.

was gonna suggest that as well by trying a non windows ftp solution to access the ftp server

#12 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:24 PM

Econnedrefused- connection refused by server is what it says in Filezilla.

Cannot connect to server.

Keep in mind, all the windows updates have been installed on the pc as well.

Edited by walkfacefirst, 28 June 2016 - 05:25 PM.

#13 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:13 PM

Can you run and post the results of FileZilla's network configuration wizard? Make sure to remove any public IP or user information. 

To be clear, is this FTP server of the network? If so, can the non working computers ping the IP for the server?

#14 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:21 PM

Network Configuration Wizard on the server? 

No this is a client computer trying to connect to the FTP Server. 

The non working computer can ping the FTP Server.

#15 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:59 PM

My mistake. I thought the Fz client had a wizard that gave more of a log. Can you try via CMD? Looking for anything that will give a FTP status code.

Also, what I was trying to confirm was the FTP server was not on the clients local network(LAN) and it uses a public IP.

Edited by Trikein, 28 June 2016 - 07:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users