Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I keep getting this message when I try to restart my computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SongmakersCry

SongmakersCry

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:32 PM

Ever since upgrading to Windows 10 last August, I have had problems with any of its applications opening.  That includes Edge, the windows store, even the start menu.  I have researched and researched this matter, but nothing has been able to fix it... or maybe I did it wrong.  I don't know.  All I do know is every time that I try to restart my computer after the Windows 10 apps have stopped working, I get the screen from the picture.  I don't know if the two problems are related, but I thought it's worth asking.  Thanks.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ufc2084

ufc2084

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:24 PM

Perhaps your virtual memory might be low. Try this and see if it works.

1. Right click on start menu and select control panel.

2. Select system

3. Select advanced system settings

4. Select the advanced tab

5. Select settings under performance

6. Select advanced tab

7. Select change under virtual memory

8. Remove check from "automatically manage paging file size for all drives"

9. Select custom size and set the initial size and maximum size to the amount shown under recommended.

10. Click set and then click ok.

Hopefully this solves your dilemma.

#3 ufc2084

ufc2084

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:27 PM

Also try placing your computer in clean boot and see if the issue persists.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

The link above is instructions to perform a clean boot.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:14 AM

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 SongmakersCry

SongmakersCry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:49 PM

I hope I did this right.

Oh, and I did increase the virtual memory, but it didn't help.

Attached Files

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:30 AM

Some things to consider:
- a fresh, clean install of W10 may fix some problems (but will mean that you'll have to backup your data so you don't lose everything).

- I wonder about compatibility of the system with W10.  This is just a hunch, not a real diagnosis.  But you should keep it in mind as you proceed with trying fixes.
My advice on compatibility is simple:  You keep trying stuff until you get fed up, then you restore to the previous OS.  If the problems go away then, it was a compatibility issue.

A little housekeeping work:

To stop Media Center tasks from running (and then failing) delete this registry key (as with any deletion, backup the key first):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center

Once you've deleted the above registry key do the following:
- Go to the Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows folder and delete the Media Center folder (as with any deletion, backup the folder first).
- Then delete the Task Scheduler Library...Microsoft...Windows...Media Center task folder within the Task Scheduler (I don't think that you can back this up, but you can export the tasks individually).

The Admin log file shows the symptoms that we see when a well-used copy of Windows is upgraded to Windows 10.

There's a couple of things to try:

1)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

2)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

3)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

4)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- System Restore to a point before the problems started happening.
- Repair install of W10:  https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install

In an attempt to fix the explorer.exe error, please use this free program:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Disable (don't delete) all non-Microsoft extensions and reboot.  Once you've rebooted, see if the error comes back.

If it doesn't, then re-enable things in small groups - so you can track down which extension is causing it.

Once you find out which one, uninstall the program that it belongs to.

The system is having problems with sleep transitions.

Please visit the system manufacturer's support website for your model.

Download and install ALL of the W10 compatible, updated drivers available there.

If W10 drivers aren't available, please post back here.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 7.14) dates from 2011.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 aayanpk

aayanpk

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:53 AM

you hard drive is not being readed properly try to take it out and put it in again

#8 Ridernyc

Ridernyc

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:19 AM

you hard drive is not being readed properly try to take it out and put it in again

You are basing this diagnosis on what exactly?

I highly recommend you do not take the above advice. 

#9 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:57 AM

Hello

The cause of those errors could be anything from bad memory to page file issues. We need to get more information using Speccy to get a full idea of what is going on:

Collecting Information using Speccy
Download and open Speccy (This is a portable version because the installer bundles unwanted programs)
You will see a spinning circle at the bottom. Wait for it to finish and disappear
Go to File > Publish Snapshot[/b]
A warning will appear of publishing the snapshot, click Yes
Now, a window will come, and click on Copy to Clipboard and paste it into your next reply 
Note: Let me know if you are getting that same error when trying to run Speccy

A few questions:

1. Are you using another computer to use the internet? (Basically do the browsers work or you are getting the same error)?

2. Which OS did you upgrade from?

And follow usasma's excellent advice :)

-CKing

Edited by CKing123, 04 July 2016 - 12:09 PM.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users