Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fried computer, maybe power supply or motherboard problem. Help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 b914

b914

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:00 PM

Dell Inspiron 660 running Windows 8.1

Last Friday my house was struck by lightning and fried almost everything in the house that's plugged into an outlet(it's been a very expensive weekend). My computer was plugged into a surge protector along with the monitor, speakers, etc. But a cable plugged into my computer that was either in router or modem I'm not sure was plugged into into an extension cord that was plugged into the wall. Not the surge protector and I think that's what did it. Anyways my computer will not turn on. The power button does nothing. When I have the computer plugged up the little green light on the back will glow but the fan won't move. I figured it was either the power supply or the motherboard was the problem. So I took it to a couple local places and they all are a little shady. Nobody I really trust to tell me what exactly the real problem is or the real cost to fix and they confirmed what my suspicions were. The cheapest fix from all the places I went to was around $500 which I cannot afford whatsoever right now.  

Really looking forward to seeing if anyone has any advice or solutions. Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:26 PM

That's desktop right? Ask for how much they charge for checking which parts are broken and which are working. Then we can think about replacements.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:10 PM

I take it the computer is out of warranty and/or the warranty does not cover electrical damage caused by storms.  You might consider taking everything apart [I mean component-wise] and beginning a "build-test," [I think some call this "breadboarding"] beginning with chassis, motherboard & power supply.  There're several persons here in BC land who are really good with "build-test" advice, I hope they see this thread and help out.  Meanwhile, using another computer, find out the beep codes, the normal noises of hardware-testing for your specific model. 

Edited by RolandJS, 28 June 2016 - 04:46 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 b914

b914
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:34 PM

That's desktop right? Ask for how much they charge for checking which parts are broken and which are working. Then we can think about replacements.

Yes it's a desktop. It's $80 to check and see what's wrong with it (cheapest I could find) and they'd fix it for the same price, if I provided the parts

I take it the computer is out of warranty and/or the warranty does not cover electrical damage caused by storms.  You might consider taking everything apart [I mean component-wise] and beginning a "build-test," [I think some call this "breadboarding"] beginning with chassis, motherboard & power supply.  There're several persons here in BC land that are really good with "build-test" advice, I hope they see this thread and help out.  Meanwhile, using another computer, find out the beep codes, the normal noises of hardware-testing for your specific model. 

Yes it's out of warranty sadly. I'm not good with computers at all but I would definitely take the time to learn if I could save myself the money by fixing it myself instead of taking it to a shop

#5 ufc2084

ufc2084

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:03 PM

Since the motherboard's green light turns on, it might be ok. I would try replacing the power supply and see if that helps.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:30 PM

I don't know where you are from, but if you have homeowner's insurance, or possibly renter's insurance, call your agent. There is a good possibility that you are covered. There will be a deductible but it may be less than paying to repair it.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users