Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Print Server - Re-Mapping Everyone's Printer Ports

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JasonBourne2

JasonBourne2

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:31 AM

Hello,

I have successfully migrated all printers to a new server(VM).

The only other issue i have is, keeping everyone's default printers and the printers they currently have in their "Devices & Printers". The names of the printers are staying the same. 

I want to have these ports moved over to the new server and users never knew i migrated these printers.(Scenario: Migration is done, Old print server is shut down and new one is up, user's printers that have already been added before in  "Devices & Printers" stay the same and are able to print from the printer they already had in "Devices & Printers".)

I noticed that there is an option to export printer ports in Print Management GUI. Does this apply to also keeping the same printers in the users "Devices & Printers" or is this something else?

Also, Is there a way to transfer users printer in "Devices & Printers" that are NOT set to defaults? Basically transition existing printers in "Devices & Printers" to the same ones added but essentially in the "background", they are different. The ports are pointing to the server, but i now need to point users printers back to the new printer.

How can i make this happen? It is not ideal for us to have users re-add all the printers in "Devices & Printers".

I appreciate you help.

Thank you,
Jonathan

Edited by JasonBourne2, 28 June 2016 - 01:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:33 PM

I believe you can have them click on a link to the printer, i.e. \\SERVER\PRINTER where SERVER is the name of the server and PRINTER is the name of the printer share.  That should install the printer.  They may have to set it as their default printer.  I haven't supported printers for a few years, so I'm a bit rusty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users