Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Setting Up Printer To The Network.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kiyeoul

kiyeoul

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 02:04 PM

I hope I can get some help here, I've been trying to do this for the past few hours.

Here's the scenario:
-I have 3 PC's in the house, all WinXP, 2 desktop and 1 laptop.
-Printer is NEC 1450N (NIC, network ready).
-Belkin 802.11g router.
-One of the desktops is in the office room which houses the printer and the router and coincidentally is the least used computer.

My goal is to set up the network so that I don't have to have the office room computer on when I want to print from the other 2 computers.

I know with the equipment I have right now it's capable of being done (meaning I don't need to go out to buy a separate printer server). Someone told me that I have to input the IP address of the printer when I go to add the printer. Is that true? If so, where??

Main thing is, I don't want to have any print jobs go through another PC. I want it to go directly from any of the 3 PC's, through the router, to the printer.

If someone out there can give me detailed instructions that would be great!

Any help will be appreciated!! Thanks!

Edited by kiyeoul, 11 August 2006 - 02:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:10 PM

Since your printer is network ready what you will need to do is login to your printer and set the ip address, once that is done you should be able to see the printer. You will need to test that the printer is on the network by using the 'ping' command in the dos prompt. Once you have connectivtiy then connect the machines to the printer and away you go.

First though, are all your computers connected via wireless or is there an ethernet switch or hub in the mix?

If your computers are connected via ethernet this will be easy but if not it could be a bit of a hassle to you, because you will need to get the printer to go though an ethernet router and then the wireless network will should be able to see the printer.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:04 PM

to properly use this ip printer, run the network setup on each of the pc's to install and configure the printer and ip port. if you dont have the network setup cd check out the following link.

http://www.helpdrivers.com/ingles/listado/...rif=impresoras4
Google...Google.....browse..read

#4 kiyeoul

kiyeoul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:23 PM

iju

0 user(s) are reading this topic