Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incorrect email address on Windows 10 PC - can't get past lock screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jdindy

Jdindy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:03 AM

My parents got a new computer a week ago. It has Windows 10 operating system. My (96 yr old) dad got in and was setting it up on his own. He had decided on a password and I wrote it down for him. The problem is that on the lock screen, it has his name but an incorrect email account (@comcast.nert). I can't figure out how to get past this lock screen to fix any of this. Please help!!!!!!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 June 2016 - 11:48 AM.
moved from Windows 10 Discussion to Windows 10 Support

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:19 AM

The "e-mail address" is nothing more than a local userid, so far as Windows is concerned.  If he's been able to log in before using the password you all established when the machine was set up then he should be able to now.

Have you tried the password you know?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 Jdindy

Jdindy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:45 PM

Thanks, yes tried the password that was supposed to work - no luck. But after a couple hours of typing different "typos" of that password - I got in!!! And yes I did change it back to the password that he meant it to be! Sometimes technology and 96 year old people have a hard time getting in sync. 😬

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,844 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:30 PM

Jdindy,

You can eliminate the need for any password entry at all.   Here's how to do it:

To Turn Off the Password Entry Requirement under Win8 or Win10

Note: Anybody who turns the computer on can get into the desktop screen directly if there is only one account on the computer.  If there is more than one then they can get access to the desktop by selecting any account that has password login turned off.

Please follow the below steps to skip the password entry screen for a specific account:

1.        Open the Run Command box by simultaneously pressing Windows Key and R keys (Windows Key+R). In the Run dialog box, type Netplwiz and then press Enter key.

OR  Open a Command Prompt window and enter the command:  control userpasswords2 and hit Enter.

2.        You will be presented with the User Accounts dialog, select the user account for which you wish to turn off password login and then uncheck the checkbox labeled Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.

3.      Click Apply button to see Automatically sign in box.

4.       On the "Automatically sign in box" confirm your credentials and then click OK. Restart the computer and check.

Steps 3 and 4 are critical.  If you omit them you will not have the password login turned off and everything will remain as it had been.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 Jdindy

Jdindy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:52 PM

Thanks so much for that info! I will definitely use it on their computer - they don't need it to have the lock screen. I really appreciate the info!

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,844 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:00 PM

You're quite welcome.

There are a lot of people who have absolutely no need for the lock screen nor password login, and it should be easier than it is to disable it.

Essentially, those instructions don't really make it that you have "no password" (which is what I think one should be able to do as you used to be) but it causes Windows to remember it and "enter it" without your intervention.  It would be interesting to set up a test account to see what happens if you follow those instructions and then do a password change for said account.  I think you'd end up either being locked out or being prompted for the password again since what the system "knows" for automatic entry no longer matches what's needed.

~ Mark Twain

#7 Jdindy

Jdindy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:15 AM

Lol, as long as they can get on their computer and it works for them, it works for me! Thanks again!

#8 damfree

damfree

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:54 AM

I have a similar problem. Somewhere along the way I was prompted for MS account and unfortunately I am now locked out of my account on laptop. In frustration I created a new account to be able to use laptop. I have tried several times to get access to the Microsoft account with no luck. When I tried the above I get a message that "you cannot change the password for [email address]" Since I have some time consuming research in that user account I really need to gain access to it but so far have been unable to do so. 

Does anyone have any suggestions?

*Only part of the research is backed up because my external drive became full and I was busy....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users