Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange issue with laptop HDD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hank2016

hank2016

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:22 AM

Hi,
So I bought a Toshiba 500 GB 2.5 inch HDD for my laptop to replace the old hard drive which has many bad sectors ( old HDD is Toshiba 640 GB ).
Unfortunately, the new HDD is not detected in the BIOS Main page  (HDD not really new, it was pulled out of a Thinkpad laptop with per-installed win8 on it). But when I go to the Boot page to check the order of Boot devices it does show up the HDD name.
These are the laptop specs:
Toshiba L640
RAM= 8gb
Previous HDD (Toshiba 640GB)
CPU: Intel Core i5  M480 2.67 Htz

What I have done so far is as follow:

1- Updated the BIOS --- NO luck
2- In BIOS changed AHCI to Compatible ---No Luck
3- Tried the HDD on another laptop (on Toshiba Sat A200) --No luck, it was not detected either
4- TO check if the laptop s detecting any other HDD, Tried 160GB HDD on Toshiba L640 ----It did Detect HDD 160GB

So it occurred to me that new HDD is probably GPT,checked it Disk Management ----It Was GPT
Converted GPT to MBR by Ease US Partition ----No Luck

NOTE: The HDD is detected by Windows  when I use a SATA to USB converter and it showing Win8 files on it.

Apparently laptop has a traditional BIOS and NOT UEFI

Any suggestions is appreciated

Edited by hank2016, 28 June 2016 - 05:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:08 AM

You may be in a pretty pickle!

I was going to suggest you use the old HD to create the recovery media and use that to perform a factory recovery; but, it may well insist that the replacement drive be 640GB or refuse to do the recovery.

That 500GB had better be from the same model Toshiba, anyway, or it won't boot even if you get it "detected".  If the necessary hardware drivers change, Windoze gets stupid!

Are you game to try Windows 10 or do you have a Windows 8 installation DVD?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 hank2016

hank2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:19 AM

You may be in a pretty pickle!

I was going to suggest you use the old HD to create the recovery media and use that to perform a factory recovery; but, it may well insist that the replacement drive be 640GB or refuse to do the recovery.

That 500GB had better be from the same model Toshiba, anyway, or it won't boot even if you get it "detected".  If the necessary hardware drivers change, Windoze gets stupid!

Are you game to try Windows 10 or do you have a Windows 8 installation DVD?

THanks DAvis,

I dont care about the data on both drives. Windows does detect the HDD when I plug it in with a SATA to USB convertor, it is just that BIOS doesn't. I have three other internal HDD tested and all get detected in BIOS except this one!! Someone recommneded killdisk or dban , ???? 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:21 AM

The BIOS should detect a drive even if GPT. Windows 7 can read and write GPT but some BIOs don't play well with it. If the drive is not detected in BIOS the drive may not be correctly inserted into the MB SATA ports. Older hard drives were 9.5mm. If your new drive is 7mm you may need to shim it.

JTWCK.jpg

#5 hank2016

hank2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:28 AM

The BIOS should detect a drive even if GPT. Windows 7 can read and write GPT but some BIOs don't play well with it. If the drive is not detected in BIOS the drive may not be correctly inserted into the MB SATA ports. Older hard drives were 9.5mm. If your new drive is 7mm you may need to shim it.

JTWCK.jpg

Yeah, the new HDD is thiner but pins are identical. But if it is not properly inseted in SATA port, why it is shown in Boot order bu not in main menu of BIOS saying HDD=None
 !!!!!!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:34 AM

I missed that part, sorry. That is strange. If files are currently on the disk, I would wipe it using your adapter and Partition Wizard. See if it is then detected. Use zero fill quick.

#7 hank2016

hank2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:43 AM

I missed that part, sorry. That is strange. If files are currently on the disk, I would wipe it using your adapter and Partition Wizard. See if it is then detected. Use zero fill quick.

John,

I already used diskpart and deleted all partitions and cleaned it, then converted to MBR and formatted just in case. Still not being detected, does partitionwizardwould do something different?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:52 AM

If you used the clean all command in diskpart then no. The clean all command zeros the drive. The clean command of diskpart  deletes the partition table only. I never ran into this problem before. Usually it's the reverse. The drive is shown in BIOS but not the boot order.

#9 hank2016

hank2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:57 AM

If you used the clean all command in diskpart then no. The clean all command zeros the drive. The clean command of diskpart  deletes the partition table only. I never ran into this problem before. Usually it's the reverse. The drive is shown in BIOS but not the boot order.

No just used "clean" command will try it now. True it is always other way around, disk usually detected in BIOS but wont let install OS or not being detected by windows!!  As for the size of the hard drives, I use a caddy so the 7mm does fit in the place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users