Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD for "rendering"

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 with0utmind

with0utmind

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:09 AM

Hello there!

I need SSD for "rendering" if I can call it like that. I render alot and I still have a big problem because every single time when I complete my render in SV or AAE (especially in AAE) my HDD need much time to get back to stable work. Is just too slow and I have to wait until everything freeze out. So I think that SSD should help in this case. Especially because I could install system/programs on SSD and rest stuff that I create/record would go to HDD. As I said "rendering" because I'm not really sure if I can call it like that, particularly because I have around 75$ to spend. I'm not looking for high capacity, 120GB should be enough (60/64GB is too small). I rather pick hardware by my own but SSDs are ones that I don't know that much about them. Pretty much in different typ of benchmark each SSD has different scores so I'm confused which is good for me. But I think that good one for me is that which has many cycles because of rendering/recording this SSD would work all the time but I can be wrong. (I'm not that bad in english but when it comes to hardware my eng is poor, so sorry about any mistakes I hope you understood everything :))

Edited by with0utmind, 28 June 2016 - 05:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:13 AM

Crucial MX200 250 GB is good choice. Avoid all TLC drives like Samsung 850 Evo.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 28 June 2016 - 05:13 AM.

#3 with0utmind

with0utmind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:20 AM

MX200 is out of my range. Somebody recommended me Transcend SSD370 128GB. What do You think?

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,346 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:37 AM

MX200 is out of my range. Somebody recommended me Transcend SSD370 128GB. What do You think?

MX200 250GB cost under 80$. Remember that 120GB range drives are usually much slower than 256 GB ones.

SSD370 is OK if you still want 120 GB range drive.

#5 with0utmind

with0utmind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:44 AM

MX200 250GB cost under 80$. Remember that 120GB range drives are usually much slower than 256 GB ones.

I live in Poland so 75$ in PLN is abt 300 zł. While MX200 cost 365 zł https://www.morele.net/dysk-ssd-crucial-mx200-250gb-sata3-ct250mx200ssd1-712688/. As as You said 120/128GB are slower which worries me :/.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,346 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:47 AM

I live in Poland so 75$ in PLN is abt 300 zł. While MX200 cost 365 zł https://www.morele.net/dysk-ssd-crucial-mx200-250gb-sata3-ct250mx200ssd1-712688/. As as You said 120/128GB are slower which worries me :/.

I think difference is so big that it's worth some extra dollars. In case you cannot save for MX200, then SSD370 is OK choice.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 28 June 2016 - 06:47 AM.

#7 with0utmind

with0utmind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:55 AM

This quote is so long so im not going to quote it once again :D. But what do You think about this 1, GoodRam Iridium Pro 240GB? it is in my price range. 

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,346 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:34 AM

This quote is so long so im not going to quote it once again :D. But what do You think about this 1, GoodRam Iridium Pro 240GB? it is in my price range. 

Hard to find information about that one. Controller is not very good but at least it uses MLC NAND. Better buy than SSD370 120GB IMO.

#9 with0utmind

with0utmind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:44 AM

Hard to find information about that one. Controller is not very good but at least it uses MLC NAND. Better buy than SSD370 120GB IMO.

You really sure? U mean that controller is just old or it is old and bad at the same time?

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,346 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:15 AM

You really sure? U mean that controller is just old or it is old and bad at the same time?

Phison controller is not considered very good. It's cheap however and so quite popular. As usual, cheap products are rarely as good as expensive ones, but that Phison should be "good enough" still.

#11 with0utmind

with0utmind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:22 AM

Phison controller is not considered very good. It's cheap however and so quite popular. As usual, cheap products are rarely as good as expensive ones, but that Phison should be "good enough" still.

I'm still abit confused. Because I render alot and of course this SSD will work pretty much all the time. So I'm afraid that it can crash quickly. And as you said Phison is cheap and popular and not the best, so Trascend TS6500 should be more solid in my case? And it is such a huge dilemma for me because it has 120GB compare to 240GB. 

Edited by with0utmind, 28 June 2016 - 08:25 AM.

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,346 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:51 AM

I'm still abit confused. Because I render alot and of course this SSD will work pretty much all the time. So I'm afraid that it can crash quickly. And as you said Phison is cheap and popular and not the best, so Trascend TS6500 should be more solid in my case? And it is such a huge dilemma for me because it has 120GB compare to 240GB. [/size]

Cheap and quality are two different things. That's the problem. But it's hard to say if that quality really matters. Only time tell that.

#13 with0utmind

with0utmind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:53 AM

I'm still abit confused. Because I render alot and of course this SSD will work pretty much all the time. So I'm afraid that it can crash quickly. And as you said Phison is cheap and popular and not the best, so Trascend TS6500 should be more solid in my case? And it is such a huge dilemma for me because it has 120GB compare to 240GB. [/size]

Cheap and quality are two different things. That's the problem. But it's hard to say if that quality really matters. Only time tell that.

So I have a last question. What would You do if you were me? ^^

#14 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,346 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:20 AM

I would save money for MX200.

If not possible, then I would buy GoodRam Iridium Pro 240GB.

After all, SSD prices drop rapidly so if that last at least three years, then it has mostly served it's purpose.

#15 with0utmind

with0utmind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:56 AM

I would save money for MX200.

If not possible, then I would buy GoodRam Iridium Pro 240GB.

After all, SSD prices drop rapidly so if that last at least three years, then it has mostly served it's purpose.

Okay so I think we can end thread here so thank You for respone and advice I really appreciate. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users