Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Device list out of control

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gottagofast123

gottagofast123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:53 AM

I thought a wifi password was enough security, but when visiting my parent's house and having them complain about slow internet all the time, I decided to look into it.

I've never seen so many unknown devices on a network and I'm unsure on how to go about resolving it. Clearing and refreshing the device list as well as changing the wifi password didn't seem to do anything. Ideas???

Screencaps

http://pasteboard.co/2186dWF3.jpg

http://pasteboard.co/218erKP9.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:37 AM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer,

The list show that most devices connected using Ethernet cable not Wireless!

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 BaronCardinal

BaronCardinal

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:05 AM

The other thing i see looking up mac addresses it looks like you have Samsung, Apple, Intel, Chiconey, Netgear, Lighton, Azurewave. that is just in the first ten or so.

So possible that at one point in time you had apple tv, blueray players, a couple of routers, camera. maybe a computer or two.  atnt seems to keep all these things in the list. Does the scan button refresh the list?

If it were my call i would connect to the network with my phone and do a fing scan and see what is active right now / a comparable network scan from a computer.

#4 gottagofast123

gottagofast123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:09 PM

The other thing i see looking up mac addresses it looks like you have Samsung, Apple, Intel, Chiconey, Netgear, Lighton, Azurewave. that is just in the first ten or so.

So possible that at one point in time you had apple tv, blueray players, a couple of routers, camera. maybe a computer or two.  atnt seems to keep all these things in the list. Does the scan button refresh the list?

If it were my call i would connect to the network with my phone and do a fing scan and see what is active right now / a comparable network scan from a computer.

None of those devices are in this house... The only thing I can find Is the chrome cast plugged into the back of the TV, but that one is broadcasting its own SSID. Its weird that they all say ethernet, because the only things plugged into the router is a power chord and a phone line. My laptop is currently listed as ethernet and off which is strange too as I'm on wireless.

The router device list has a "clear list" and "scan for devices" clearing leaves it empty and scanning pulls up all the devices again.

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:00 PM

Aliens man, sounds like aliens.

Anyway on  lighter note, have you updated the firmware on the device mate>?

Im guessing they are cached devices and im also guessing that someone has been scanning the wireless network looking to access it and using fake MAC addersses to get around authentication lockouts.

Update firmware is possible, disable UPnP as well, thats been known to assist with exploitation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users