Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't login Windows 10 after upgrade

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Vepuriz

Vepuriz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:39 AM

My old computer runs on Windows 7 and Microsoft keeps asking me to upgrade to Windows 10. I did it a while ago and no w I can't log into my computer because of wrong password. How could this happen? And is there any way to remove or reset the password without losing data in system drive? thanks

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 June 2016 - 09:41 AM.
moved from Windows 10 Discussion to Windows 10 Support

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:47 AM

Explain a little bit, how did you get in before upgrading and after upgrading .
Are you using a Microsoft account or local or both of them. If you use both of them, is the password the same or different.
Have you changed in the meantime some of these accounts password (if You have and use some of them), Microsoft Outlook, hotmail.com, live.com?

#3 Sem_Jonson

Sem_Jonson

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

How to Reset Your Forgotten Password in Windows 10

http://www.howtogeek.com/222262/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-password-in-windows-10/

Hope it help.

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 795 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:10 PM

If you followed what M$ wanted you to do, the password is now the one you use for the email account you provided when setting it up. Did you try that one?
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#5 Vepuriz

Vepuriz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:58 PM

@kaljukass  @Sem_Jonson @DavisMcCarn,

thanks all for the reply. I didn't use MS account to login and it is a local account.

#6 Sem_Jonson

Sem_Jonson

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:35 AM

You’ll need a Windows 7 System Repair Disc.

Look at this article

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2988539/windows/if-you-forget-your-windows-admin-password-try-this.html

Hope it help.

#7 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:29 AM

thanks all for the reply. I didn't use MS account to login and it is a local account.

If You think, that everything is OK with installed W10, then you may reinstall (or repair current witout affectng Your files and folders) or change password or make new admin and then change Your current password.
Read this tutorial, it should work.

#8 Maikaouly

Maikaouly

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:52 AM

If You think, that everything is OK with installed W10, then you may reinstall (or repair current witout affectng Your files and folders) or change password or make new admin and then change Your current password.
Read this tutorial, it should work.

Thanks, I will try it.

Edited by Al1000, 27 September 2016 - 08:37 AM.
remove spam link and replace with link that kaljukass posted

#9 Maikaouly

Maikaouly

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:53 AM

My old computer runs on Windows 7 and Microsoft keeps asking me to upgrade to Windows 10. I did it a while ago and no w I can't log into my computer because of wrong password. How could this happen? And is there any way to remove or reset the password without losing data in system drive? thanks

Try this method:

turn it on and tap f8... till u get advanced boot options... try safe mode with networking and when asked for the user, u should have an option ``admin´´ that wont ask you for a password... if so, configure youre pc from there... and restart... DONT access the internet from safe mode, you could mess your pc up...

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:04 AM

Upgrading to Windows 10 will not change your or any other user accounts passwords you have set from previous upgraded Windows OS. Have you ever used Outlook.com, Hotmail, Office 365, OneDrive, Skype, Xbox, or Windows? The email address and password you use for any of those services is your Microsoft account.The next time you sign in to Windows, use your Microsoft account name and password. PC users can use either a Microsoft account or local user account to sign in to Windows 10. If you’re using a local user account, Windows 10 shows your username and user account picture on the login screen so that you can sign in by just entering your password. Likewise, if you’re using a Microsoft account, your Microsoft account email address appears on the login screen along with the user picture.

hide-username-email-address-on-login-scr

When you can't sign in to your Microsoft account

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12429/microsoft-account-sign-in-cant

Edited by FreeBooter, 01 July 2016 - 04:06 AM.

Posted Image

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 795 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:41 AM

As a note, if you setup the mail app, that changes your login credentials.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#12 GreatWhenItWorks

GreatWhenItWorks

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:33 PM

I had the same very frustrating, time consuming problem.  Fortunately, I could prove I was using the correct password by logging in to my Microsoft account on another device.  We were starting to think a total restore was necessary to unlock the Mexican Stand Off Windows seemed to be playing.   Hang off!

The problem is the keyboard.  Windows 10 seems to randomly change it - or it could happen by accident when the user presses a key combo like Ctrl+Shift.  For some unknown reason it simply changed between sessions.  I didn't know it at the time, but it had become an ABCD keyboard, not QWERTY - so the password being entered was gobbledygook; it was nothing like the keystrokes I was actually making.

1. To get out of the password stand off, select the Ease of Access icon at the bottom RH of the screen (the one in the middle of 3 icons). 
  2. A menu appears.
  3. Select On Screen Keyboard
  4. Click on the screen keyboard to activate it.
  5. Then click in the password box, and enter your password from the On Screen Keyboard.  You're in!

Or, now I know what the problem was, even this may have worked:  

1. Press and hold the Windows key
  2. Press spacebar. If you have more than 1 keyboard, a list appears.  Select what you need.

You'll continue to have the problem until the right keyboard is selected, or added.  This can be done via Start Menu, Settings, Time & Language, Language, Options.  Similarly, you can delete any superfluous keyboards to minimise the risk of it happening again.

You can also eliminate the need to log in to your device via your Microsoft account by switching to a local account sign in.  It's apparently better done at set up, but something easily overlooked.  However, it can be changed.

1. Go to Settings
  2. Accounts
  3. Your Account
  4. Just above your picture, select Sign in with local account instead
  5. Then set up a password. 

Edited by GreatWhenItWorks, 06 October 2016 - 10:36 PM.

#13 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:48 AM

Try this method:

turn it on and tap f8... till u get advanced boot options... try safe mode with networking and when asked for the user, u should have an option ``admin´´ that wont ask you for a password... if so, configure youre pc from there... and restart... DONT access the internet from safe mode, you could mess your pc up...

What? Perhaps you have read or heard, that Windows 10 doesn't have such a function. Already since Windows 8 such a function doesn't exist. This operating system was released to manufacturing on August 1, 2012, and was released for general availability on October 26, 2012. So, already 4 years doesn't exist and You suggest to use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users