Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Webcam turns on automaticaly...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alpharon

alpharon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:59 AM

Hi all.

Description of problem:

Out of nowhere, randomly, my webcam turned on. I was not browsing the web, instead, I was playing a comptuer game that I've played for many years. During a game, it alt-tabbed me to my desktop where the logitech mini control center was up and the webcam came on.

Now, if I turn it off, everytime I restart or put my comptuer to sleep it will turn on again after I start up the computer.

The one 'hint' that I have is the logitech mini control center stated once that the webcam was in use by 'windowssystemdll'

Problem? or no?

The main reason I'm here is I'm wondering if I should be freaking out. Obviously the worst nightmare is that my privacy has been invaded and the microphone/camera is in use by someone.

But I have reason to believe that it is not a problem as I was not doing anything problematic prior to turning it on. I'm hoping that it's just something gone wrong in some file.

I have windows 7 (I think).

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:21 AM

This is a very serious privacy problem. There may be many reasons, but it is clear that it is abnormal and You should find reason and fix it as soon as possible.

#3 alpharon

alpharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:18 AM

Any advice on what to do?

Is it a simple 'just plug it out of the computer' fix?

Should I reformat my computer?

I ran spybot and it did not fix it.

#4 alpharon

alpharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:32 AM

So, this morning I am working on the computer and I start it from sleep-mode. Initially the webcam is on, but within moments it turns off (likely just a layover from last night).

I decide to shut down the computer. Turn it back on, and see if the webcam error persists. It does not turn on, however.

This is leading me to believe that the problem is no longer an issue. Obviously, I am still wondering just what the hell  happened...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users