Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Started with Red Squares, Now its Red Lines!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hiisenberg

Hiisenberg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:15 PM

Everything has been running perfectly fine, I have not noticed any issues leading UP to this problem.
Few days ago I was playing World Of Warcraft when suddenly the computer froze with a couple red lines scattered here and there.
Restarted it and all was fine.

A few minutes into loading up another game, red squares everywhere.
Restarted once more to see what would occur and as i expected, red squares.

I opened my computer, cleaned it out (although I did that a week prior anyway), also took apart the GPU, cleaned it out, reseated it, restarted.
Not only did the red squares turn into red lines, but now the computer won't go past the Windows Loading screen (where no red lines appear on this screen), unless in Safe Mode (in which the red lines are still present).

Seems like a GPU problem? No? Googling leads me to believe this as well.
Upon all this happening, I thought..lets see beep codes. Took out the GPU and ran the computer and got *5* short beeps (which Googling, led me to "CPU failure").

So I have red lines, with claims to GPU issue.
5 Beeps, with claims to CPU failure.

I'm unsure of what to do next.

I don't have another PC to test the graphics card on. I already tested the monitors, its not them. And keep in mind now that the computer won't boot past the loading screen.

Any help would be much appreciated.
I don't want to buy something i don't need and waste more time I don't have, its a hectic next two weeks for me.

((I tried a system repair/restore and it says it cannot be done. Booting from last successful boot doesn't work.))

----

Windows 7

GPU: GTX 580

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.19GHz

RAM: 8GB

Motherboard: AsRock 970M Pro 3 (brand new)
PSU: Thunder V2 735W (brand new)

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DuncR

DuncR

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:27 AM

Hi

Those red lines certainly look like it's graphics card related to me. Possibly memory going bad.

When you took apart the GPU and cleaned it, what exactly did you do? Modern electrics are a lot more robust than they used to be but it's entirely possibly that a shot of static has killed something - which would also account for your not being able to get past startup.

The easy workshop test would be to simply substitute with a spare card to rule it in or out but if you don't have a card then that's more difficult. Does your motherboard also have an onboard video facility? If so then see if you can get the system running barebones with as few ancillary cards as possible - then if ok, build up one at a time.

I'd be inclined to run a Memory Test first of all with some additional graphics ones - http://superuser.com/questions/133844/how-to-test-video-card-memory - and see what it reports, then work from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users