Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to create only 1 partition for a 250GB MBR computer on an externa

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:55 PM

My friend has a HP-CPQ Presario CQ60-220US 32-bit laptop

The original OS was Vista and was up to SP2: upgraded it to Win7: and then to Win10.

The computer runs fine.

However, he couldn’t create a system image backup onto his external hard drive when he was on Windows 7.

--- Toshiba Canvio Desk 3.0 3TB

--- I suppose its because its larger than the 2.2TGB capacity and uses the GPT partitioning scheme

Belarc reports the Boot Mode: BIOS

--- I did disk management and didn’t see an EFI partition.

--- From what I understand UEFI is for 64-bit systems so that shouldn’t apply in this case.

I have read that it needs to be split into 2 MBR partitions and that we could use Seagate’s DiscWizard

--- However is it possible to create an MBR partition to accommodate the computers 250GB hard drive and leave the rest alone with its GPT partitioning scheme?

To me it seems a waste to convert the 3TB external hard dive into 2 MBR partitions for one computer with only a 250GB hard drive.

If what I’m asking for isn’t possible, I’m going to recommend to him to live with it and save that external hard drive until he gets a modern computer on which that external hard drive will work.

I’m not going to work on it again until after July 4 vacation but I’d appreciate advice.

Also how can I determine whether or not a hard drive is MBR or GPT partitioned?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:55 PM

Windows 7 32 bit should be able to read and right to a GPT partitioned disk. The one thing it cannot do is boot from one. That requires 64bit and a UEFI computer which the CQ60 is not. I have a CQ60-420US.

Can Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?

Yes, all versions can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for 64-bit editions on UEFI-based systems.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn640535(v=vs.85).aspx#gpt_faq_what_is

You would not see a EFI partition as that is used only on a bootable GPT disk much like the 100MB System Reserved Partition on a Windows 7 MBR disk.  

To determine if a disk is MBR or GPT open a command prompt. Type

diskpart

list disk

You will see a asterisk "*" under the GPT column.

What software was your friend using to create the image?  I would look at Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper. These should detect your GPT 

external disk.

Edit: I do not believe you can create two MBR partitions on the 3TB drive. Once you make the disk MBR it would only see the drive as having a capacity of 2.2TB.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 June 2016 - 09:05 PM.

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:37 PM

Thanks JohnC_21. What you say makes sense to me.

I did recommend MRF as that's what I use. I'll check with him on what he did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users