Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 Upgrade seems to have trashed my Latop!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:23 PM

Please can someone help me with this nightmare?

Tonight I upgraded my lovely seldom used pristine Medion Erazer Laptop.

It's an X6823 (MD 98254), it cost me almost £1000 and has not yet been used for more than 10 hours!

I thought the upgrade went OK, but I wanted to move the OneDrive Folder from the "C:" drive which is a 128GB SSD, to the "D:" data drive which is a 750GB conventional HDD.

I had to give up with that since my first attempt just created a shortcut back to the SSD, second attempt kept saying "there's no folder"!

Shortly after that the pointer was moving erratically and was very jittery and none of the trackpad buttons worked.

A reboot seemed to fix it, ...just for a couple of minutes but eventually even that didn't work.

I then found my way "without the use of the trackpad" to device manager, as soon as that appeared, the pointer behaved its self!

Again it was shortlived.

I had to dig out an old Dell Optical Mouse and eventually found the "Additional Mouse Properties" where there is an entry called "Synaptic TouchPad V7.5 on PS/2 port.
It's highlighted but the "Enable" column vacillates between Yes and No twice a second, or more, and the three buttons below it (Enable, Disable and Settings) are all flashing like something from a pinball table!

PLEASE can someone help me to end this torment? :crazy:

Edited by six-h, 27 June 2016 - 06:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:42 PM

In the 20 months I've been running Windows 10, I've had no such experience, but since you have 30 days to go back to your former system, maybe that's what you should do.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:25 AM

Thanks for that Niweg, but I was really seeking solutions, I didn't want to give up! :lol:

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:38 AM

I haven’t experienced touchpad issues on the laptops I’ve upgraded to Windows 10

Try Settings, Devices, Mouse and Touchpad and see what they are

Many laptops have touchpad issues on Windows 10 and need updated drivers

You found Synaptic TouchPad V7.5 on PS/2 port

--- I’m not sure whether or not this applies but Windows 10 might not handle Legacy elements

--- Maybe you could check your BIOS for that to be accepted.

--- If possible, can you disable or uninstall the TouchPad, shut down and then start back up?

Check with your manufacturer

--- Research on the Internet shows issues with that same TouchPad with other manufacturers

According to

TOUCHPAD DRIVER SUPPORT

http://www.synaptics.com/products/touchpad-family

Synaptics' TouchPad device drivers are customized and supported by notebook manufacturers to meet specific driver requirements for their individual products. To ensure the appropriate driver for your device, always use the driver your specific notebook OEM supports.

Installing a generic driver from this website may result in the loss of OEM-customized functionality and other issues.

Before upgrading to Windows 10, first check with your notebook manufacturer for compatibility, then use your device's Windows update function to ensure you get the correct driver for your hardware.

You could look into

Synaptics Touchpad Driver For Windows 10 19.019.1

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/synaptics_touchpad_driver_for_windows_10.html

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:52 AM

I have 2 sets of suggestions:

I have these 5 suggestions:
1.  Get ALL available Windows Updates.  It may take several trips to get them all
2.  Get ALL available, compatible updates for your OS from the manufacturer's website (to include BIOS/UEFI).
3.  Get ALL available, compatible updates for the programs and any additional hardware installed on your computer from the developer's website
4.  Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html
5.  If all of the hardware tests pass, then run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

There's a couple of things to try:

1)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

2)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

3)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

4)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- System Restore to a point before the problems started happening.
- Repair install of W10:  https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:27 AM

Thanks for those links cmptrgy, I managed to get into the properties for the Trackpad and it tells me the current driver is the most recent.

Phoned Medion today and they first said the machine was only compatible with W7, ...(it was supplied with Win 8 and Win 8 disks)

Then they said it was manufactured in 2008, ...(it was purchased new from them in Jan 2014)

So they are evidently not to be trusted!

Not sure how deep I want to delve myself, I might remonstrate further with Medion.

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:13 AM

Many times current drivers are reported to be the latest.

Usually that's why it's best to go through the hardware's manufacturer, in this case Synaptics

Unfortunately sometimes when contacting the computer manufacturer it doesn't go well.

--- I don't understand why the computer is only compatible with Win7 but ...

--- I suspect what they are saying is that the Synaptic TouchPad V7.5 is only compatible with Windows 7 and I believe that is the issue

--- Somewhere in my notes I have an article explaining how to use compatibility settings to accommodate older drivers to work with Windows 10 or something like that

--- I haven't had to do that but If I can find it, I'll post it so you can check it out 

At this point in time I recommend reverting back to Windows 7 as has been mentioned.

--- You will have the flexibility to do what you have to do with a known good OS

On the the difference between their manufacturing date and your purchase date

Go to www.belarc.com

In the Operating System section, the install date will be recorded

--- Have you checked the labels or imprinted information the bottom of your laptop?

Refer to usasma's recommendations

Review what you think you should start with. I myself am taking note of those recommendations.

BTW research the Synaptic TouchPad V7.5 issue and select what other computer manufacturers are recommending for their systems

Who knows. One of their "hopefully solutions" will be helpful for you.

Last but not least, I'm hoping you do system image and data backups before trying to upgrade again.

EDIT: Here is another Touchpad Support from Synaptics

http://www.synaptics.com/resources

Edited by cmptrgy, 28 June 2016 - 09:21 AM.

#8 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:31 AM

cmptrgy, thanks again, I would be grateful if you do find that compatibility article, because in my utter ignorance of driver coding/design/architecture I just can't believe that I'm too far away from a stable and working trackpad.

Somehow, God alone knows how, I seem to have for the present established a connection with it and it is behaving normally.

The only things that are not working are thescroll feature, (on the right edge of the trackpad) and the two fingered gestures.

...no, not that one dirty boy! :P, the one that allows you to pus up and pull down the pages, almost a la PDF.

I don't doubt that this situation is not enduring and Just hope that I can either invoke it again, or find a solution.

Thanks for your efforts they are appreciated.

Edited by six-h, 28 June 2016 - 02:08 PM.

#9 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:18 PM

Hmm! This problem cannot be insurmountable.

Several times I have managed to "resurrect" the Trackpad, including the "two fingered  push/pull", the only thing lacking is the scroll feature on the right hand edge of the pad.

The way I've done it is somewhat erratic, but with the use of a USB Mouse, double clicking on the Trackpad icon in the sys. tray, to invoke the Properties window, still flashing like a pinball table, I highlight the trackpad entry and left click on it as fast as my pudgy little finger will go!

Bit like a woodpecker on the mouse button!

This seems to lull the properties window into a state of inner calm, giving me the opportunity to pounce on the "Enable" button.

Whilst the feeling of triumph is almost orgasmic, it really isn't what you would call "the solution", what it does show, is that the driver is basically operational, but needs the setting to be "enduring", ...therein lies the problem, but someone somewhere MUST have sorted it by now! :mellow:

#10 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 891 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:19 PM

You should go here and choose your laptop model then download the drivers from its webpage: https://www.medion.com/gb/service/start/_search.php?groupID=1&groupName=Laptop
Get the audio driver while you're there! They almost always get broken during the upgrade.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#11 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:01 PM

Hi Davis, just read your Bio, which begins in '63 (ah!I can hear the tune now ♫ Late December 1963, ♫♪ was a very special time for me!♫ )

You seem like a guy who could tinker with the driver code, or at least have some idea why it fails to latch as "Enabled"

Thanks for the link to the Medion site, I have already downloaded the driver from there.

It is labelled "tpdx6821w7_w8.exe" and so is evidently "Pre win 10", and that I think is the source of the problem.

I had an hour on the phone to Medion in Germany, and with their guidance downloaded the latest driver from Synaptics

It is listed as:- Synaptics-v19-0-19-1_C_x86x64_Win10_Signed_MS-Win10-UXUI.

When I attempted to install it, I was warned that it was not as recent as the installed driver!

At that point I abandoned it not knowing what might result.

I have just found that there is another can of worms, the damned keyboard isn't working now, so I just have the trackpad...for the timebeing!

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:32 PM

Also check out (I haven't found the article I'm looking for yet)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/synaptics-touchpad-scrolling-not-working-in/3cd46bd4-c407-4f23-88df-589fb9e74a3f

There is a section to run this program in compatibility mode

Plus enable vertical and horizontal scrolling

I'd recommend leaving the computer on overnight for a while and see if the scheduled Windows Updates for 2AM or is it 3AM I don't recall. But Windows Updates are now scheduled for 3 times a month

Maybe the trackpad and keyboard drivers will be updated in there but when who knows

However on the keyboard, is it wireless or USB connected?

That website Davis posted looks like an excellent one you should hang on to for future use just in case

#13 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:00 PM

Hi cmptrgy, yes, I'm already familiar with the Medion site.

I suppose I'm making progress, I can now coax the trackpad to work ...most of the time, the only missing feature is the right edge scroll feature, but since I have the pull/push two finger gesture, I can live without scroll.

Another problem is that the damned keyboard withdrew it's labour at somne point today, had to re-boot to get it back, and of course, then attempt to get back the blessed trackpad!

...hardly convenient, but at least, it shows there can't be much wrong with the drives, just getting them to endure is the problem.

The machine is a Laptop, so the Keyboard is hardwired into the MB.

I do however use a USB Mouse to poke the trackpad into action though!

#14 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 891 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:58 PM

I would go ahead and install the driver the Medion guy led you to.  Tell it to install anyway.  What is the model of the laptop from the Medion site?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#15 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:10 PM

It's a Medion Erazer Laptop.X6823 (MD 98254) Cost me almost £1K and not run for more than ten hours!
I just don't want to totally wreck it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users