Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering OS and Making Bootable Again

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BillyShatty

BillyShatty

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:41 PM

I had a problem with a W2K8 server.  I had a software/Windows RAID 1 setup.  One of the drives failed.  When I setup the mirror, I forgot to include the other partitions.  I only included the C:/ OS partition.  I converted the drive from dynamic to basic so i can see all the files on it (what a relief).  How do I make it bootable again?  Its missing those other partitions that it needs to make bootable.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 androbourne

androbourne

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:47 AM

Unless you can mount the old drive and see that bootable partition to copy it over to the good drive... your kinda SOL.

You could use something like Acronis boot image to boot into acronis while having a spare hard drive and a bad hard drive plugged in via USB to the system. After booting into Acronis you should be able to create new partitions on the new drive and copy all or selected partitions from the old drive onto the new one.

And that is all in hopes that the old\bad drive only has a few bad sectors which are not on that partition...

This is why going with something like a Raid 5, 6, 10 etc... is safer to go with for important devices.

Worst case, you may want to think about sending it off to a disk recovery service, that will get expensive.

#3 neuronic

neuronic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:16 AM

Have you tried to rebuild the boot partition on the C:\ drive? Bootrec /rebuildBCD

If that doesn't work then you need to recover from your most recent baremetal backup. 

#4 BillyShatty

BillyShatty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:43 AM

I fixed it. Converted to basic disk from dynamic with a non destructive converter. Then did a disk copy to a ssd and made the drive bootable with bootrec, diskpart

#5 BillyShatty

BillyShatty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:44 AM

The motor in the bad HD was making a noise. I hate mechanical drives

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users