Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TalkTalk; intermittent connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 The-Administrater

The-Administrater

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:23 PM

Been with TT for years. Never had any serious connection issues until a day or 2 ago. Havent measured download speed, but internet connection randomly cuts off. I have connected various devices to my wireless router through both the wireless capeability and the wired connection. The disconnection happens across everything.

Edited by The-Administrater, 27 June 2016 - 05:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:09 PM

The first thing to do is have a word with TalkTalk, either by e-mail or phone and suggest there is a line problem. They can check that out while you are on the phone butthe answer you will probably get is 'We can't find a problem !'. This is one of the reasons we switched to another ISP.

cc

A common cause of these problems is BT's use of aluminium wire between their roadside junction boxes and the exchange. The wire is prone to crack at the terminals in the boxes where it can be knocked or moved when working on another line. A good sympton is crackle on your phone. If you have crackle  on voice calls there is almost certainly a line fault.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:12 AM

Do you have a HG633 router? If so, there was a bad firmware loaded. 

Also any problems with your phone?

#4 The-Administrater

The-Administrater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:10 AM

The first thing to do is have a word with TalkTalk, either by e-mail or phone and suggest there is a line problem. They can check that out while you are on the phone butthe answer you will probably get is 'We can't find a problem !'. This is one of the reasons we switched to another ISP.

cc

A common cause of these problems is BT's use of aluminium wire between their roadside junction boxes and the exchange. The wire is prone to crack at the terminals in the boxes where it can be knocked or moved when working on another line. A good sympton is crackle on your phone. If you have crackle  on voice calls there is almost certainly a line fault.

Chris Cosgrove

Do you have a HG633 router? If so, there was a bad firmware loaded. 

Also any problems with your phone?

Well after about 6 weeks my connection is back at 11mb/s. I consider anything between 11 and 12 normal. After numerous phone calls, one engineer escalating the problem to another engineer my connection is finally back up and running. The problem was a frayed cable somewhere. The frayed bit was intermittently making contact with the rest of the line causing the problems I described, or at least thats what I was told but I never spoke directly to the engineer myself.

Talktalk's customer service is bloody awful and this is largely down to their use of pakis or whoever, who know sod all about tech stuff. Not to mention the language/accent barrier. An engineer (British) said tests were done by talktalk on my line in the past, these tests showing up errors. On the contrary, said foreigners said the tests they conducted on my line showed no fault what so ever and told us to "wait 10 days and your speed will return to normal". What bollox I knew that was from the start.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:24 PM

TalkTalk is a bit like the little girl in the fairy story - "When she was good she was very very good, when she was bad she was horrid !"

A friend of mine who lives at the far end of the same town as I do, and about twice as far from the telephone exchange, gets excellent service and performance from her TalkTalk line. We didn't, which was why we switched. And the TalkTalk hack had nothing to do with it.

After we switched it was established that the fault we had been complaining about all along was a cracked wire in a BT junction box, very similar to your frayed connection.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users