Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My video card has a different name on it than the drivers my computer detects.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ZomBrony

ZomBrony

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:34 PM

So I've been having a lot of sudden shutdowns lately. According to Windows, it's been an update each time. But it seems a bit strange to me to have five updates in two days, especially ones so close together. Also when turning my computer back on, it says "AMD NB Thermal Shutdown," which sounds a lot like an overheating problem to me. I was just cleaning out my fan in hopes that it would help when I noticed my video card has XFX Radeon HD 6870 written on it. Yet Windows and AMD both said that my video card is AMD HD 6700 Series.

What does this mean?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:58 PM

... my video card has XFX Radeon HD 6870 written on it. Yet Windows and AMD both said that my video card is AMD HD 6700 Series.

What does this mean?

Has one installed the driver for this graphics card from here

The "HD 6700 Series" thing sounds generic to me or maybe OEM chipset ("retail" laptop, desktop or other?).

Might be a good idea if one uninstalled the current driver (deleting the driver software), reboot, install from linked driver, reboot.

Edit: unless one is on Windows 10 platform in which case that is another story completely.

Edited by bludgard, 27 June 2016 - 10:59 PM.

#3 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:56 AM

So I've been having a lot of sudden shutdowns lately. According to Windows, it's been an update each time. But it seems a bit strange to me to have five updates in two days, especially ones so close together. Also when turning my computer back on, it says "AMD NB Thermal Shutdown," which sounds a lot like an overheating problem to me. I was just cleaning out my fan in hopes that it would help when I noticed my video card has XFX Radeon HD 6870 written on it. Yet Windows and AMD both said that my video card is AMD HD 6700 Series.

What does this mean?

Have a look manufacture website xfx amd grahic card and download driver from driverscape which is of hd 6700 series if it is installed then your gpu is listed in hd 6700 series, download gpu-z which will show correct description of your gpu.
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users