Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wanting to play DVDs using USB DVD burner

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 mario909

mario909

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:14 PM

Hello, I am using Ubuntu 16.04 and I am wanting to play DVDs using my USB dvd burner. Can someone tell me what I need to do or download to do this.

Also, I will be using the VLC player to watch my DVD movies.

Thank you for any input you might have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:50 PM

As long as the DVD burner acts as a DVD reader, I don't think you need to do anything else.  Ubuntu should automount any disks that are in it, then VLC you should be able to browse to the device and play from it.

with the dvd burner not plugged in do the following in a terminal:

mount

plug in the dvd burner and do the same command in a termnal.  The difference should tell you that the device and disk is mounted.  Then start vlc and see if you can browse to it.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:40 PM

DVD support cannot be provided by default in Ubuntu due to legal and technical restrictions. Most commercial DVDs are encrypted and so require the use of decryption software in order to play them.

Open terminal and run the following command.
sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg

and confirm in order to install libdvdcss2.

In some countries, the use of the below unlicensed decryption software is not permitted by law. Verify that you are within your rights to use it.

Edited by NickAu, 27 June 2016 - 05:41 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 mario909

mario909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:50 PM

DVD support cannot be provided by default in Ubuntu due to legal and technical restrictions. Most commercial DVDs are encrypted and so require the use of decryption software in order to play them.

Open terminal and run the following command.
sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg

and confirm in order to install libdvdcss2.

In some countries, the use of the below unlicensed decryption software is not permitted by law. Verify that you are within your rights to use it.

I used the terminal and put it in and this is what it says:

dpkg-query: package 'libdvd-pkg' is not installed and no information is available
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: libdvd-pkg is not installed

Also I just wanted to tell you I plugged in my USB dvd burner/player but Ubuntu is not recognising it. Not sure where to go from here.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:35 AM

mario909, is your OS fully updated?

You can check by opening a Terminal & copy/paste:

sudo apt-get update

followed by 

sudo apt-get upgrade

Some users prefers to run both at once, however I run one at a time to prevent 'do you want to change scripts/packages' messages from appearing. Yet if you want to do both (just type the default 'N' for each popup), here it is in one line.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

All of these, of course requires your password, it's just if you do it by the longer command, you'll run into several places where you'll have to answer yes or No (default is No). It could be that your system is missing packages that's preventing your DVD burner, which normally serves double as a reader (otherwise any bootable media created would be useless if it can't read) from installing. 

And there's always the possibility that you have a defective unit, is there another computer you can test on? Even if it's a family member, friend, neighbor, whomever. If it doesn't work in two different computers, that's a sign that something's wrong. If you purchased it new, you can likely exchange for a new one, is it portable? If so, failure rates are much higher than built in optical drives. While I've had built in ones to go bad, it was after many years of use, even those on notebooks. Since I now use USB sticks as bootable media, use optical drives a lot less, yet these still comes in handy for writing important items to, or as you've noted, playing a movie now & then. 

My suggestion is if you recently purchased this, carry back to the place of purchase & get a refund or replacement (preferably of a different brand). or if ordered online, you'll need to go through the RMA process to return the optical drive. It's best, if you use these a lot, to keep at least two around, especially if the portables, because the failure rates are high. I find it odd that an OEM can build an installed optical drive & will last 10+ years for $15-20 on promo, yet portables that cost more are flimsy & will never make it past the 3 year mark (unless used only 1-2 times per year). Some has reported failures while simply trying to create their Recovery Media set for Windows, which requires at the most, 5 DVD's. That's sad & a total ripoff, not to include a waste of time. These drives needs to be built to the same standards as those that ships with notebooks, unfortunately many aren't.  :(

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:51 PM

Hi mario909 and where are our manners?

:welcome: to BC and to the Linux & Unix Section, we hope you will enjoy your stay here.

Just to qualify one point from what friend Cat said above:

...you'll run into several places where you'll have to answer yes or No (default is No).

There is one exception to this and it is the first time you are asked for a choice.

Once Update has listed all the packages and enumerated their size it will ask you whether you wish to install (this with the combined command). The answer is Yes, and that is the default at that point. You need not even type Y or y (case does not matter in this instance only), but just press enter.

Other interactive options are as Cat has said.

Enjoy Linux - I do

:wizardball: Wizard

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:42 AM

Once Update has listed all the packages and enumerated their size it will ask you whether you wish to install (this with the combined command).

Wiz is right, I forgot that step, and it doesn't matter how you update through the Terminal & which line you use out of the lot, if there's an update to software, the default is always Enter. There's updates 3-4 times per week, depending on how much software is installed, the really cool thing being are that 3rd party browsers such as Google Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi & the emerging ad-free by default FlashPeak Slimjet (which has a 32 bit version also! :)), are also updated to newer versions. 

And BTW, didn't notice you were a newcomer,  :welcome: to our Linux Community! :)

We're glad that you chose us for a friendly, knowledgeable place for advice, and hope that you're here for the long haul. Right now, just hope that you can exchange that DVD burner, which should offer playback. Again, it would be a bummer if one can burn files & can't read these. Normally it's the other way around, some optical drives can burn & read CD's, but can only read DVD's, this was very common with older computers (much anything in the IDE days until 2006-07 or so). Then it became commonplace to have a combined writer & reader in one. For some users who has no access to a USB stick, a portable optical drive & extra DVD's is the only way to burn a recovery disc set. Or a Linux install DVD. Though as a responsible Advisor, I recommend to protect what one has first, if one is going to run Linux (or even if not), it's imperative to create that recovery DVD set, no matter how this has to be done. 

Or if this cannot be done, then image the drive before installing Linux. While many who tries a Linux distro becomes settled into one because we we interested to begin with, for a few, it's too much on the person (could be lack of time to learn) or is unwilling to adapt to change. And I respect that also, one of the cool things about Linux is that it's forced upon no one in modern countries. On the other hand, there's not enough backbone by the OEM's to openly push Linux, except on hidden pages of business computers & Chromebooks are the close it comes to marketing a semi *nix OS on retail shelves. While it shares some features of Linux OS's, these are too commercialized by Google to be considered Linux as we see the OS's. :)

My portable optical drives have came from notebooks, where I installed a SATA drive bay in the optical drive bay to install/add a SSD, and use a $5 USB 2.0 cable ($7 if USB 3.0) to use these drives as needed. And one day, that actually happened. Had a reinstall DVD in a PC & there was a SATA card added, so had to reboot, start again, plug in the optical drive from one of my notebooks in that fashion to load the 'F6' drivers when prompted. These devices, while used less these days, are still lifesavers for some of us. With the floppy drive now an antique, these makes a better replacement & can hold more data (even on those 'donut' CD's) :)

Need to get a couple of cases for my two, these are running exactly as removed from the notebooks. Inside a case, will last longer, and if used for watching a movie, playback would likely be smoother, so would other tasks performed. In one case, had to use one to reinstall Windows with those recovery DVD's, and compared to a inbuilt 5.25" model, was painfully slow over USB 2.0, plus the optical drive was fairly warm by the end of the job. :P

Please let us know the outcome, we look forward to hearing from you. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 mario909

mario909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 01:08 PM

Thanks guys , my portable DVD burner is fine cuz it works on my other laptop fine. so i did the sudo apt-get update, then i done the sudo apt-get upgrade and when it did the upgrade it seriously messed up my Operating system. i mean my desktop changed to like i was in safe mode in windows. everything was large, icons ect. i could'nt change it back to how it was before the upgrade.

Luckly i did a restore using Timeshift to return my laptop back to the way it was when working fine. ok, so i'm not sure where to go from here.

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 02 July 2016 - 01:22 PM

then i done the sudo apt-get upgrade and when it did the upgrade it seriously messed up my Operating system. i mean my desktop changed to like i was in safe mode in windows. everything was large, icons ect. i could'nt change it back to how it was before the upgrade.

This sounds ominous, because all the command does is update packages on your system.

You can't have been able to update your system since you installed it, which is a serious matter. Linux operating systems receive security updates just like Windows operating systems do. Ubuntu can be updated either by running the two commands Cat posted, or by clicking the update manager icon in the panel and following the prompts.

Is there an update icon in the panel, telling you that updates are available?

Edited by Al1000, 02 July 2016 - 01:23 PM.

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:11 PM

mario909 - with the Ubuntu 16.04 is it the Unity desktop or the MATE? (or other), and is it an Alpha/Beta or the stable release?

And good on you for having Timeshift set up - if you don't already have it, you could use its brother/cousin Aptik by typing and entering

sudo apt-get install aptik

as you have Tony George's ppa already installed.

#11 mario909

mario909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:25 PM

Is there an update icon in the panel, telling you that updates are available?

When I click on the Ubuntu software icon and click on updates, it says there are 8 updates. But the only one I want to update is the one saying OS update.

Edited by mario909, 02 July 2016 - 08:29 PM.

#12 mario909

mario909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:28 PM

mario909 - with the Ubuntu 16.04 is it the Unity desktop or the MATE? (or other), and is it an Alpha/Beta or the stable release?

And good on you for having Timeshift set up - if you don't already have it, you could use its brother/cousin Aptik by typing and entering

sudo apt-get install aptik

as you have Tony George's ppa already installed.

I'm not sure what version i'm using, all i know is that it's Ubuntu 16.04 LTS ....not sure if thats a alpha or beta version. 

#13 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:33 AM

....not sure if thats a alpha or beta version.

No matter - if you installed using an .iso "ubuntu-mate-16.04-beta2-desktop-amd64.iso", or "xenial-desktop-amd64.iso" and the date of the file is 23 or 24 March, it's a Beta. If before that, an Alpha, or after that (24 April or so) the Stable Release. No mind

If you go to terminal and type and enter the following:

echo $DESKTOP_SESSION

it will either return "mate" or "ubuntu". Can you do that for us?

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:34 AM

While I don't know 100% for sure about Ubuntu 16.04, do know that all the Mint 18 beta testers had to do to get the stable release was apply all Level 1 updates, and were ready to roll. :thumbup2:

Have been so busy assisting others that haven't had the time to do my own yet, though will perform clean installs after transferring the main folders in whole to an external, and after enabling the Firewall, delete any folders that duplicates the ones I transferred to the external & copy back over then update. Last year when purchasing a new Data drive, learned a lesson from carrying too many leftovers from release upon release, from Mint 12 (possibly 11) to 17.1. Can one imagine what a rat's nest of a /home configuration I had. While it was nice to be greeted to my default wallpaper, the OS was slowing, and after performing what I stated above, adding a larger Data drive (half of which is used for Mint /home), the total clean install was what the doctor ordered. 

The only things I 'lost' were the configuration files of several Linux Mint releases, consuming several GiB's of data after deletion of the folders from the drive. :P

I'd imagine that Ubuntu 16.04 Preview testers has a similar upgrade path (no need to reformat & reinstall OS). :)

In the upcoming month, there will be an option to upgrade 17.3 (or lower point release) to Mint 18, would prefer to clean install. Upgrades from one OS to another (regardless of brand) still leaves a lot to be desired, and actually consumes a lot more data (over 2x as much) as a straight out clean install. And we have no way of knowing for certain if some preferences carries over, such as custom scripts for performance. One example is if the lowering of the default Swappiness of 60 to 10 (or 1 if running a SSD) holds. I'll never know because won't be upgrading in this manner.

Thanks guys , my portable DVD burner is fine cuz it works on my other laptop fine. so i did the sudo apt-get update, then i done the sudo apt-get upgrade and when it did the upgrade it seriously messed up my Operating system. i mean my desktop changed to like i was in safe mode in windows. everything was large, icons ect. i could'nt change it back to how it was before the upgrade.

If this was your first such upgrade, did you notice one or more stops that required input from you? The default in No or 'N' & what one should stick with unless an advanced user & knows what not going with default values may cause. Just type N & Enter at these stops, never Yes or 'Y' (unless it says it's the default, read these carefully). This may not be the reason why your system is acting up, yet thought I'd throw that information out there for the next time you install, or run into an option where there's a choice. If the Terminal says the default is No, then it's best to type 'N' & press Enter. :)

Am hoping that you soon have this issue fixed, and that it's not one of lack of power. Some USB ports, as I found out last night (less than 6 hours ago) cannot boot or even burn a CD, because there's not enough power, even when plugged in, to give what it needs. Though the computer does show that this device will perform faster in a 'high speed USB 2.0 port'. Heck, I thought that USB 2.0 was a standard, not some that are glorified USB 1.1 ports & others 'hi-speed' enough to be considered USB 2.0, though in reality, many USB 3.0 accessories are no better. While I've seen this warning on many computers, including another of my own, either the USB standard is what it says in the specs, or there's a serious case of false advertising between computer OEM's, that legally could spark a class action lawsuit. It's like wireless cards of the 'N' standard, these should run in this mode, unless connected to an older standard 'G' router, then the card becomes limited to what the router can provide. Certainly not 100Mbps, more like 54Mbps tops. In my case, unless there's a defect in the chain, the portable DVD burner should had been recognized & burned the 200MB CD ISO image. 

In mine, the portable DVD burner that came from a notebook, and the SATA cable that attaches to it are USB 2.0 compatible, there's even USB 3.0 cables for these, so either should work & same for you. Unless there's not enough power to push it, then the power distribution was poorly engineered by the OEM of the computer. USB 2.0 & 3.0 has power requirements, while a powered USB strip may settle any 'low power' issue, this is not a permanent fix (rather roadside assistance) & should be used only when needed, not to view an entire movie. It could also be that the power supply is getting old (if more than 6-8 years old) & not providing it's labeled power stated on the brick. If a 3rd party PSU, well that can cause all sorts of issues, including being a fire hazard, especially if $10-12 new shipped & very light. Good PSU's are kind of heavy, has a solid feel to these, cheap ones are light & feels hollow inside. These also tends to get hot fast. 

May need a new one myself, if so will look for a 90W replacement for the 65W IBM part, there's still new originals, sealed in package. Even to this date there are new sealed genuine IBM batteries for the T42 line from authorized resellers (often 3rd parties performing warranty repairs on the OEM's behalf purging old stock). May not last as long as when manufactured in 2003-04, yet will still be better than many 3rd party suppliers of 'no name' batteries. At least I feel that's the issue, that's how I reloaded the factory OS (7 CD's) by a portable drive as described above. Fortunately, can probably find a 90W PSU fairly cheap for that model, and hope it's not the DC jack working loose. :)

If so, don't know if I'll bother with that issue or not, could upgrade it to a T43 for the price & have some of the needed components on hand. Still, I just can't justify spending $100 for a fix of a 12-13 year old notebook while saving for a new PC build, will run 'as is' until no good, then destruct in the country with a rifle with some friends. I leave nothing in the trash that someone can dig out & fix. :P

Cat

#15 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:29 AM

When I click on the Ubuntu software icon and click on updates, it says there are 8 updates. But the only one I want to update is the one saying OS update.

All updates would have been installed when you ran the commands Cat posted, so it must have been one of them that broke your system. Please take a screen shot of these updates and post it into your next post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users