Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost 'D' Disk/Partition, Can It Be Restored?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 Pearguy

Pearguy

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:51 AM

Hi All

I'm using an old pc on which had two OSes loaded, XP and Linux Mint. From 'My Computer' I used to be able to access  Local Disk C which runs things and D, which had my stuff on it. D has now disappeared. Might it be recoverable?

Recently, after deleting unused files and programs I had to shut down/reboot, but there was no boot menu. I had zero access to anything.

I did get on-screen messages that "There are currently no Operating Systems installed on this machine" and a friend lent me her stick version of Lubuntu, which I eventually managed to successfully install.

I've yet to test the Linux OS because, for some reason, after installation the old boot menu was back so I'm still using xp, which is at least the devil I know.

However, during the Linux install I was warned that 'All files (etc) will be erased..'. I'd written off my existing Operating Systems anyway so I went ahead; had no idea that they might reappear.

I'd very much like to restore 'D', if only because it contained a lot of unused space which I now have no idea how to access. But also because I had pictures and movies there.

I should explain that I am very much a tech novice. I have tried to research this and found many mentions of TestDisk but I'm not at all confident of my ability to use it and I don't want to risk making things worse. 

I feel the same about Windows Repair tool (not even sure if that's a viable option for this situation). Also System Restore, but hat has never worked for me anyway.

Needless to add, genuinely grateful for any help or advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:09 PM

I think you may have wiped D with the Lubuntu but it may have overwritten pnly your Mint install and did not touch your D partition. See this video. Post a screen shot of the Disk utility in Lubuntu. Is there any unallocated space shown or any NTFS partitions shown.

There was no need to install Lubuntu. You could have run it off the disk or flash drive.

#3 Pearguy

Pearguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:45 AM

JohnC,

Thank you for posting. I've successfully booted to Lubuntu so as to access the Disk Utility but am struggling a bit due to unfamiliarity with this OS. Will need to research how to access 'Settings' as my menu is different to that in the tutorial. Matter of fact, what I assume to be my Lubuntu Menu isn't even named as such.

I'll persevere this evening and keep you posted  Suspect I may be running a different version of the distro so first task is to learn how to find out.

Yes, I realised I could simply continue to use the stick but I'd written off the existing OSes so I wanted to install new one whilst able to.

Thanks again, I'll be back.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:13 AM

Is there Gparted on Lubuntu. That should show your partitions also. It may be under System Tools. In the upper right you will see your disk labeled sdaX. You can select the disk here.

http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31411

#5 Pearguy

Pearguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:20 PM

Sorry for the delay posting, couple of things came up.

And 'Interrupts' has been running at 80 -90% average whenever I've tried to post; = CPU maxed out, pc wouldn't respond. Also struggling with Lubuntu, 1st time using. Managed to take and view screenshot but that was it, unable to upload, file or do anything with it. Tried many times, always got caught in a loop without actually doing anything.

Took pic of screen with camera, not sure if this is what you requested but was unable to follow YouTube tutorial. It was too quick and nothing on my Lubuntu OS matches the instructor's references.

Will persevere.

Thanks for your posts.

DSCN0832.jpg

#6 Pearguy

Pearguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:23 PM

There's no Gparted that I could find, will try again tomorrow. Currently back in XP, at least I can usually find some sort of workaround here. Lubuntu remains unfathomable at present.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:00 PM

If your D partition is on the 80GB hard drive then it is gone. What is on the 40GB hard drive, your XP OS?

You may be able to recover the data on D but it would be a stretch as you have formatted the drive to a linux file system.

#8 Pearguy

Pearguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:20 AM

Is a 'Local Disc' the same as a hard drive? XP OS appears to be in (on?) Local Disk C which I access in My Computer. Disk C has a capacity of 24.4 GB. I'll try to post a screenshot of its contents. The Windows folder contains dozens of Windows sub folders. I can post another screenshot if it would be helpful.

What happened was that after installing Lubuntu my friend's usb stick was designated as Removable Disk D, whereas previously D was another Local Disk. I forget the capacity but it was a lot more than C Disk. Could the 40GB Hard drive contain Disk D? Or actually be Disk D?

I'm more or less resigned to having lost the data but I'd really like the storage space back, which appears to be still there (based on the 82GB Hard Disk.

Thanks again.

C%20Disk%20Contents.png

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:52 AM

Please post a screen shot of the Disk Management Window. Right click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

#10 Pearguy

Pearguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:56 AM

Computer%20Management%20Shot.png

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:05 AM

Click on the 12GB healthy unknown partition to highlight it. Does Right clicking on the highlighted partition allow you to assign a letter? If so assign the letter D: to the partition.

Edit: I missed you already have a D letter assigned to the flash drive. Use an unassigned letter.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 June 2016 - 08:07 AM.

#12 Pearguy

Pearguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:29 PM

Evening JohnC

No, right clicking the 12GB partition offers only 'Delete Partition' and 'Help' options. Everything else is greyed out. The right click options refer to that partition as 'Logical Drive'..

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:37 PM

Download Partition Wizard. Run the program and start the Partition Recovery Wizard. Scan the 40GB 56.56GB drive. Use Quick Scan. On any partition it finds put a check mark next to the partition and then double click. Do you see any of your files. If Quick Scan does not see any partitions that have your files then do a Full Scan which will take awhile. See if a Full Scan detects any partitions and Double Click any found.

Edited by hamluis, 30 June 2016 - 05:25 PM.

#14 Pearguy

Pearguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:16 AM

I've downloaded the MiniTool but this could take time.

I can't see the 56.56GB drive which you instructed me to scan. By far the closest to this is Disk 1, but Partition Recovery shows that as having a capacity of 74.34GB, with70.50GB unused. Which is really confusing me, as 'My Computer' shows Local Disk C is using 17.9GB of space..

A screenshot of what I see on opening the MiniTool

Partition%20Recovery%20Opening%20Page%20

Should I scan Disk 1? Partition Recovery requires me to set a starting and ending 'LBA'. I now know that this stands for Large Block Addressing but so far that's all I've been able to learn. If I select Specified Range the Wizard enters LBA settings automatically. Should I go with this? Or do you want me to scan the whole disk? The next shot is what I see after choosing the Partition Recovery option, including the auto-set LBAs.

I have to leave now but will be back this evening. Sorry if I seem rather helpless, I'm still fairly new to computers.

Thank you for your patience.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:20 AM

This is very strange. Your Disk 2 in Partition Wizard is not showing any C: Partition (NTFS) of 24.4GB and the 12GB partition is actually a linux EXT4 partition that is 31% filled. Also the disk is listed as being 40GB.

Go back to your Lubuntu Desktop. In your image #5 click on the 40GB disk in the left pane and post another screen shot. 

Also, You can open the Lubuntu File Manager under System Tools. In the left pane you should see a 12GB disk or partition. Click on it and see if your files are there which I highly doubt.

Another strange thing. Lubuntu and Partition Wizard lists your one hard drive as 40GB but Windows lists it as having a capacity of 60GB.

Edit: You can still do the scan on the 37GB disk. Only do a Quick Scan though. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 July 2016 - 08:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users