Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS configuration

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TinoNgombo

TinoNgombo

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:35 AM

Greetings, IT pros.

I'm a junior Systems Technician for an IT solutions company here in my country (Angola). We have a few servers: 2 physical and a few virtualized ones, running Windows Server 2012 R2. For now, we're using Server 1 (physical) as the main server and Server 2 (virtual) as the secondary server. Both of them run the DNS role.

Now, the intention is to use Server 2 as the primary DNS server and Server 1 as the secondary DNS server, so that Server 2 can be an authoritative DNS server, instead.

How may I accomplish that? I would love some help from anyone here.

Note: It is a production environment; the servers are currently being used for core tasks and the above DNS configuration intended is urgent.

Regards,

Tino

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 androbourne

androbourne

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:58 PM

You can use this guide. I've skipped over it and for the most part it is pretty accurate. It will get you to the point you need to be at.

http://blog.hyperexpert.com/how-to-configure-a-secondary-dns-server-in-windows-server-2012/

However, just from my personal experience, I'd recommend you make the physical machine the primary DNS holder and make the virtual machine the secondary. In the guide giving above the secondary DNS becomes a "read only" DNS server. This means all DNS changes should be performed on the primary DNS server then replicated to the secondary server. If your virtual machine blows up and you are having problems restoring it, and you need to make changes to DNS... it could put you in a bad state.

If you put the primary DNS on the physical server, then if the virtual machine goes down. No harm done, you can still edit DNS. Also if the physical machine goes down, it wouldn't matter because that means everything else is down as well.

#3 TinoNgombo

TinoNgombo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:17 PM

Ok, sir. Thanks a lot for the help. I'll suggest that to my boss :-)

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:36 AM

That link talks about configuring a second ZONE.  That is not what you want to do.  If your DNS is AD Integrated you have no issues concerning both being up-to-date.

http://windowsitpro.com/networking/how-do-i-configure-active-directory-integrated-dns

#5 androbourne

androbourne

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:12 AM

That link talks about configuring a second ZONE.  That is not what you want to do.  If your DNS is AD Integrated you have no issues concerning both being up-to-date.

http://windowsitpro.com/networking/how-do-i-configure-active-directory-integrated-dns

Did you read the full guide? There is no zone present AT ALL on the secondary DNS server. The secondary zone creation was to put the secondary DNS server into READ ONLY mode which you then link to the primary DNS server for replication and redundacy. Read the full guide, this is how you setup proper DNS redundancy for Server 2013 and onwards. 

#6 androbourne

androbourne

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:15 AM

Ok, sir. Thanks a lot for the help. I'll suggest that to my boss :-)

You are most welcome. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users