Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB flash drive problem!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 x_jopo_x

x_jopo_x

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:09 AM

Hello all,

I'm really really hoping someone here can help me. About a year or so ago, in an attempt to free up space on my phone for pictures and videos for our vacations and stuff, I transferred all my pictures and videos onto a 64gb USB flash drive. Both MP4 and JPG files. I even used the flash drive a few times to view said pictures or videos and saw them still there.

Today, I found that flash drive, and upon opening it, I see all 3,400+ files are still there, BUT THEY'RE ALL JPG.

There are ZERO videos in there whatsoever. The only files on there are JPG files for the thumbmails of the videos, but only jpg. If I click on em, I can't see any video, only a picture. I've tried numerous YouTube tutorials, scanned the flash drive for malware, and nothing. I had very personal videos in there (family vacations, brother's first soccer game videos, videos of our puppy which was stolen from is, etc) and I want to recover them.

PLEASE HELP ME FIX THIS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stafeegraph

Stafeegraph

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:49 AM

Test the USB port: You may not be able to use your USB drive because of some problems with the USB port, not with the USB drive. So, before performing any repair of the USB drive also make sure that the USB port is working fine.

Steps to test the USB port: Remove the USB drive, reboot your computer, and test the USB drive again. See if it works. It is possible that one port may not be working but all others are working fine. So try each port of your computer. If this doesn’t help, try the USB drive on some other computer.

Sometimes, the Installed copy of Windows OS may not be able to recognize your USB drive due to some USB version limitations.

You can fix an Undetectable USB Flash Drive:

Drive Recognition:

• Go to start>control panel> Device Manager
  • Expand the list next to “Disk Drives” option.
  • You can see a down facing arrow over your USB drive. Double click it and choose the option to “Enable Device”.
  • Click Next.
  • Click ‘Next’ again.
  • Finally, click Finish.

After this, you need to assign the drive letter. To do so follow given steps:

• Go to Start>Control Panel>System and Security>Administrative Tools then choose “Computer Management.”
  • Right, click the USB drive. Select the option to “Change Drive Letter and Paths.”
  • Click ADD and then click OK.
  • Now, assign any available drive letter to the USB drive by clicking it.
  • Right, click the USB to designate it as “Online.”

If this fails, use the Windows automated “Fix it For Me” service can resolve the issue. If this also doesn’t help, then modifying the system registry will help you tackle the issue. I wouldn’t suggest you to go for this option as it may harm your OS.

If none of the remedies proves helpful for you, then the last option for you is to try Flash Drive data recovery tools, USB or any other external storage media as mentioned at the beginning of this article. You can try Stellar tools for free and see if your inaccessible documents are still there and can be recovered.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:54 AM

When you list the files in explorer, what size is listed for the jpg files that were formally mp4? Do the sizes match your video files?

#4 x_jopo_x

x_jopo_x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:00 AM

Test the USB port: You may not be able to use your USB drive because of some problems with the USB port, not with the USB drive. So, before performing any repair of the USB drive also make sure that the USB port is working fine.

Steps to test the USB port: Remove the USB drive, reboot your computer, and test the USB drive again. See if it works. It is possible that one port may not be working but all others are working fine. So try each port of your computer. If this doesnt help, try the USB drive on some other computer.

Sometimes, the Installed copy of Windows OS may not be able to recognize your USB drive due to some USB version limitations.
You can fix an Undetectable USB Flash Drive:
Drive Recognition:

• Go to start>control panel> Device Manager
  • Expand the list next to Disk Drives option.
  • You can see a down facing arrow over your USB drive. Double click it and choose the option to Enable Device.
  • Click Next.
  • Click Next again.
  • Finally, click Finish.

After this, you need to assign the drive letter. To do so follow given steps:
  • Go to Start>Control Panel>System and Security>Administrative Tools then choose Computer Management.
  • Right, click the USB drive. Select the option to Change Drive Letter and Paths.
  • Click ADD and then click OK.
  • Now, assign any available drive letter to the USB drive by clicking it.
  • Right, click the USB to designate it as Online.

If this fails, use the Windows automated Fix it For Me service can resolve the issue. If this also doesnt help, then modifying the system registry will help you tackle the issue. I wouldnt suggest you to go for this option as it may harm your OS.

If none of the remedies proves helpful for you, then the last option for you is to try Flash Drive data recovery tools, USB or any other external storage media as mentioned at the beginning of this article. You can try Stellar tools for free and see if your inaccessible documents are still there and can be recovered.

Thank you, I will try this as soon as I get home.

#5 x_jopo_x

x_jopo_x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:03 AM

When you list the files in explorer, what size is listed for the jpg files that were formally mp4? Do the sizes match your video files?

Hello John, the file sizes are rather small (i.e. 10kb) where as my videos were 10mb+ so they do not match.

I read about a media control.exe virus changing video files to jpg and it matches the description of what happened perfectly, but I can't see that anywhere on my task manager and the first step to getting rid of that is ending the task on task manager.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:39 AM

If the malware changed the mp4's to jpg's I would think the size would be the same. Have you set Windows to find hidden and system files? Perhaps the files have become hidden. When you look at the free space on the flash drive is it larger or about the same as before.

#7 x_jopo_x

x_jopo_x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:41 PM

If the malware changed the mp4's to jpg's I would think the size would be the same. Have you set Windows to find hidden and system files? Perhaps the files have become hidden. When you look at the free space on the flash drive is it larger or about the same as before.

Hello John,

Yes I have set it up to view hidden files. I was informed there should be no hidden files on the USB and to delete them, but I'm unable to delete it. it says something about "Volume Control Guide" and there are two files inside, one is a DAT file, the other I don't know. As for the space, I dont know exactly what size it was before, but I have about 3400 pictures (they're pictures now because there are 0 videos) and its I believe 16gb of space so far (out of 64gb) if that matters.

I got the USB off Amazon (PNY 64gb) is the name of it

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:26 PM

I would not be deleting any hidden files until you know for sure what they are. I never heard of Volume Control Guide, only System Volume Information. 

I would do the following. Download Easeus Data Recovery and let it scan the USB flash drive for video files. It will let you recover up to 2GB for free. See if it will detect any video files after the scan. 

http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm

http://www.easeus.com/resource/drive/usb-flash-drive.htm

Edit: Do not recover any files back to the flash drive or they will be lost. Recover to your hard drive. Also, do no write any data to the flash drive or you may be overwriting any video files that Easeus finds.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 June 2016 - 03:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users