Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop does not appear to be charging

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:39 AM

I just bought a new Dell Latitude E5470. I've had it about 5 days. It has been working since I got it. Today I was playing with the power settings. I don't think changed anything but the Sleep setting when on battery power. It had been on AC all day. This evening, I happened to hover over the power icon in the taskbar. It said something like "On AC, 71%, not charging". This was surprising, because it was plugged into the AC and the adapter light is clearly on. Then I noticed that the hover message was alternating between "Not charging" and "Charging".

As a test, I went to the AC outlet and unplugged the adapter. The PC immediately powered down. Why did it do that? Did I change some setting accidentally that cause that? I plugged it back into the AC and powered it back up. After about 5-6 minutes, the PC went down again while I was using it.

This happened 2-3 times, so I closed the lid and went to do something else. I just came back, opened the lid, and powered it up. I got a message that said something like: "If a service update was just installed, I should power down, unplug the AC adapter, replug the AC adapter, and power back up. I did that and it seemed to come back up again.

Can anyone explain what is going on and how I can fix it?

Thanks, CM

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:09 PM

I have once had a laptop crash on me when I unplugged the charger lead from the wall socket at the end of a club meeting, but only once. I fully expected it to keep running as there was some 6+ hours life in the battery. I put it down to a voltage pulse when I switched the wall socket off.

Can you say if the battery is charging or not ?  If you boot without the charger connected and then look at the battery indicator, normally in the bottom right of the task bar, it should show nearly 100% charge if you have previously had the charger plugged in.

If it's not showiing nearly fully charged, or very low remaining charge, or even refuses to start because there is no power in the battery then take it back or return it to your supplier since it is only one week old. Just in case they take it back, issue a replacement and you never see this computer again, back up any data you may have on it then delete the data on the computer. Once you have deleted the data I would use something like the 'Wipe free space' option in Ccleaner - a free download from BC - to reasonably securely delete this data if it is sensitive.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:20 PM

It turned out to be a bad battery. I called the Dell support line not expecting anything useful. I was connected to their "Pro" support line, maybe because this one of their more expensive machines ($2200). The tech ran a bunch of diagnostics. He first thought it was a bad motherboard, but then decided that it was a bad battery. He had me remove the battery and the problem disappeared. He shipped me a new battery by FedEx overnight. It arrived this afternoon. I installed it and the machine is now running normally. Of course, it ran normally for almost 4 days before the battery swap, too.

I was pleasantly surprised with Dell "Pro" support. I was on the phone with him for almost two hours. While he had remote control of the machine, he upgraded the BIOS and some drivers. I asked hum why a machine that was only 5 days old needed a BIOS update and he said that the update was just released on 6/22.

I looked for an emoticon with fingers crossed, but couldn't find one.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:07 PM

I'm glad it's sorted, and fairly simply too, even if it took you two hours on the phone !

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:25 PM

So far so good.

But the biggest surprise was Dell's tech support. I called three times and got a knowledgeable human in just a couple of minutes each time. And they all shared the information so I didn't have to repeat a bunch of stuff.

I just got a follow-up call to ask if everything was good. I told them that it was and that I was and that I was very happy with their tech support, but had a less happy experience with the sales department. I got a reply asking for details. They seem very committed to good customer service. A very pleasant surprise.

Cheers

PS: So are you guys going to vote to leave the UK now that Britain voted to leave the EU? Over here, I hear that that might be the next domino.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:54 AM

This is not the place to discuss this - but see the topic in 'General Chat'. It is quite informative  and definitely amusing in places.

If only good customer support was contagious !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users