Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will this desktop turn on with this PSU?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stebbinsd

stebbinsd

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:26 AM

A local professional told me to get this upgrade kit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2294171

I'm planning on running it with a Geforce GTX 750ti and a pair of 6.0Gb/s hard drives.

I have a PSU that is 600W, but it only has a 4-pin CPU power connector to hook up to the motherboard.

You'll notice that the motherboard in that upgrade kit has an 8-pin CPU power connector socket.

You will also notice that the CPU that comes bundled with it requires 125W.

Will I get enough juice to run this thing? Or will I need a PSU with an 8-pin CPU power connector cable?

EDIT: For what it's worth, I was able to run a computer, using the GTX 750ti and two hard drives, without any difficulty, using a Gigabyte Z87M-D3H motherboard, two 4GB ram sticks, and an Intel Pentium G3220 (dual core,  3.00GHz). There are only three things I'm upgrading, and you can see all three of them in the upgrade kit link I provided above.

The biggest issue I'm seeing is with the CPU. My old CPU only needed 54 watts. This new one seems to need more than twice that amount.

Am I in the clear, right now?

Edited by stebbinsd, 27 June 2016 - 01:14 AM.

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 750ti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:02 AM

PSU manufacturer and model?

That CPU does NOT need 125W, it's 125W max, that in this case means somewhere around 80-100 watts at full load. That 4-pin power connector should be enough anyway.

I don't really understand why you are changing motherboard. As your current board supports quad core LGA1150 CPU's. So switch CPU and you're fine.

Radeon RX series is announced 29. june (in two days) and RX-series is much better choice than GTX 750.

#3 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:05 AM

I don't really understand why you are changing motherboard. As your current board supports quad core LGA1150 CPU's. So switch CPU and you're fine.

And ... what exactly makes that any of your business?

I appreciate you answering the question I asked in the OP, but mind your own business.

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 750ti

#4 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:55 AM

Usually if you can't fill all the power slots it's not a good idea.  To be honest the power supply is the thing that you should worry about the most, as if something goes wrong with it, it might fry the entire PC. 

Saying that, it should be fine to run, although it may cause unforeseeable consequences in the near future.

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:37 AM

And ... what exactly makes that any of your business?

I appreciate you answering the question I asked in the OP, but mind your own business.

My business? I'm giving advice here. If you don't want advice, don't ask.

You have: LGA1150 motherboard, 12GB DDR3 memory, put quad core CPU and that's enough.

That upgrade kit have motherboard, 8GB DDR3 (same memoy type but less) memory and new CPU.

Your local professional is giving very odd advice or there is something more in this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users