Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrade to Win10 failed twice

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:07 PM

I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre M75e 5042 A7U with 4.00 GB of RAM (3.75 GB usable) and 332 GB of free space on disk.  Win10 says that it is compatible with this hardware.

After thoroughly backing up my user data AND creating a disk image, twice I attempted to upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10.  Each time, 32% of the way through the installation, with 5% of features and drivers installed, the system crash. I rebooted, and the install wizard recovered by Win7 installation.

Here's the error I got:

Windows Update

Windows 10 couldn’t be installed

Failed: 1 update

Error(s) found:

C1900101 -30018   Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

Warning You're not connected to online Help, which shows you our latest content. Check your Internet connection, and then try to connect to online Help again. If you still see this message, the online Help service might be temporarily unavailable.

Information  We update Help frequently. To see our latest content, switch to online help.

Read the privacy statement on the Microsoft website. 

8 results for "WindowsUpdate_C1900101" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"

1. Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

2. See which Windows updates are installed

3. Windows Update error 80244022

4. Windows Update error 8024001F

5. Windows Update error 8024402C

6. Windows Update error 80072ee2

7. Windows Update error 8024401b

8. Windows Update error 80072efd

Second attempt: error was : C1900101 -3000B

This time it crashed with 6% of features and drivers installed.

Does anybody have any idea what I’m doing wrong?

incidentally, none of the above links work, and Microsoft itself says that it considers them all potentially unsafe!! (??)

Edited by WouldBePolymath, 26 June 2016 - 09:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:49 PM

Try upgrade to Windows 10 without checking for update you will be ask  check for Windows updates don't accept to install latest updates.

You can also upgrade to Windows 10 with Media Creation Tool.

Posted Image

#3 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:02 PM

After Win10 downloads, installation is attempted and that installation fails, where and under what name do I find the setup file, so that I could install it as you suggest?

And what is Media Creation Tool?  That sounds like an odd way to install an OS.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:19 PM

Why have you not visited the Media Creation Tool website if have done so you will know this tool belongs to Microsoft and learn more information about how to use Media Creation Tool.

Posted Image

#5 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:08 AM

I can see that this tool comes from Microsoft.

The Media Creation Tool says that this tool allows for the installation of Win10 via alternate media, namely via USB or DVD.  Hence its name.

But it seems to me that this doesn't address my problem.  I'm not having a problem the necessitates me acquiring setup files via USB or DVD.  I'm having a problem running such files in order to install Win10.

One thing the Media Creation Tool website does not say is whether or not this website allows for the download of a different setup file (or set of files) than that available via the download of the usual setup.  Would you happen to know if it does?  Because if it doesn't, this isn't going to help; the installation will just fail again.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:25 AM

Issue is the Windows Update error you are ask to download updates to your computer once this process finnish Windows Update has nothing to do with Upgrade process like i said don't except to download updates for your computer while upgrading to Windows 10 this should resolve your issue. Screenshot of the stage where upgrade fails will help us lot more to understand where upgrade process fails.

Posted Image

#7 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:28 AM

OK, understood, the failure occurs not with the desired upgrade itself, but rather with an update that Microsoft attempts in preparation for the upgrade.

Firstly, as you can see from the first screenshot, "Win10 good to go", my system is compatible with Win10.

But unfortunately, I can see no way to circumvent Microsoft's attempted update.

When I first click on the Win10 icon in my systray, I get a window telling me that I can either upgrade immediately, or download and upgrade later.  See the second screenshot, "Win10 upgrade now".

When I click on "Upgrade now", the "Starting download" window appears.  (See the third screenshot.)

And after a couple minutes, the "Windows Update" window appears.  (See the fourth screenshot.)

When I then click on "Stop download", the "Some updates were not installed" window appears.  (See the fifth screenshot.)

Nowhere do I see an opportunity to forego the update.

Are you saying that there is an opportunity to forego the update via the Media Creation Tool?

Attached Files

#8 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:00 PM

This is as close to an actual screenshot as I can get, given that at the time of crash, no image manipulation program is available to me to save a PrtScn.  So I just took this photo with a dumb phone whose camera isn't very good.  But this image would seem to strongly suggest that the problem is indeed the upgrade itself, rather than an update.

Attached Files

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:23 PM

I'm sorry for late reply i never got notification about your new post. The screen shows upgrade process to Windows 10 not the Windows Update process where did you get the Windows Update error messages from?

Uninstall all third party antivirus and firewall programs.

Open the Command Prompt as a administrator.

Type Chkdsk C:  /r command and press Enter key to schedule next time system reboot C: partition error checking.

Error checking with /r parameter can take much as 30 minutes or hours or days it all depends how fast your computer is and HDD and size of C: partition larger size drives will take longer to scan and repair errors also how much data store on C: partition can slow down scan and repair process. 

After error checking C: partition finnish try upgrading to Windows 10.

Edited by FreeBooter, 29 June 2016 - 03:24 PM.

Posted Image

#10 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:55 AM

Thanks FreeBooter, but I called Microsoft tech support, and they walked me through a clean install.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:48 AM

You are very welcome!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users