Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Internet" icon hijacked?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:26 PM

Samsung Galaxy S5, 32 GB memory card, conservative app set (it's mainly a work tool).  I use the GPS a lot to locate work sites, I check my E-mail (but usually reply, if necessary, from desktop at home),  Have Avast Mobile Security installed.  Use Chrome when I need to browse (relatively infrequently, usually to look up something technical).  For as long as I can remember, clicking the "internet" icon brought me to Google Chrome open at the Google search screen (which was usually where I wanted to be).  Now all of a sudden (well, a couple of weeks ago or so) the Internet icon has changed (it is now dark purple with a negative image of a globe on it) and it opens ad marketing sites - in endless variety.  For a while it began with adsmarketinghub.com and quickly morphed to electronics ads, then tried to sell me an iPhone 6, etc. etc. etc.  The only way to get out of the ads is to hit the "recent" button at lower left and then x out of the ad site currently displayed - or to turn off the power.

If I go to apps and choose Google Chrome it takes me to Google Chrome, which then works in the normal way.  So my question is, can I get rid of whatever has hijacked my "Internet" path?  I have scanned with Avast! Mobile Security, the scan comes up empty and says everything is safe.  Is this just a matter of finding and resetting the default "target" in Google Chrome?  Or what is going on here?

Thanks,

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:16 PM

The 'Internet' icon is Samsung's default browser. Whats happened is you have changed the default browser to go to the OEM Samsung one. Which also happens to have the ad filled home page opening. What you need to do is change the default browser to your preference of Chrome.

Take a look here: How to change default apps in Android

If that doesn't fix the problem which for the S5 it's been known to not be permanent. You may have to clear all defaults even the launcher and reset all defaults. Let me know and I can advise you further.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:43 PM

Thanks, I'll try that and let you know if I can't resolve it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users