Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot loop trying to install Windows 10.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zeus12

zeus12

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:32 PM

I recently built my first pc with all new parts. I created a windows 10 bootable usb using Windows 10 Download tool.

When I turn on the pc, I entered bios and changed the boot order so that the bootable usb is first, saved and exited bios.  When the computer starts it shows the gigabyte motherboard board splash screen, and then shows the black screen with windows logo and the circle loading dots.  Before the dots can make a complete circle the pc shuts down and restarts.  It will continuously reboot over and over making it to the same spot.  In order to stop the reboot loop I have to turn off the power supply or hold on the power button for 5 seconds.

The pictures included are the only two screen I see unless I enter the bios.

The SSD is detected in the bios.  I never make it to any screen to start the installation.  I also never get any error code or anything.   I have tested the bootable usb on another computer and it works fine.  I have plugged the SSD into another computer where it is detected and I can save documents.  I have reformatted the SSD on the spare computer as well.

I have tested the ssd and bootable usb on an older computer and it worked just fine.  I was able to boot to usb and was able to start the installation process.  

Parts:

i5-6600k 

Cooler Master 212 Evo

Gigabyte z170m-d3h

16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX at 2666MHz

240GB SSD Adata SP550

1TB Caviar Blue HDD

750W EVGA power supply

No graphics card:  Waiting to see rx480 benchmarks

Things I have tried:  (in no specific order)

·      Removed one of the ram sticks

·      Tried each of the ram sticks in each of the four ram slots

·      Ran memtest86 (4 passes – 0 errors)

·      Cleared CMOS

·      Tried every single usb port on the motherboard as well as front panel

·      Tried several usb drives, both 2.0 and 3.0

·      Tried three different SATA cables

·      Tried all SATA ports for the SSD

·      Checked CPU for bent pins

·      Checked for too much thermal paste

·      Updated Bios to the latest version

Attached Files

Edited by zeus12, 26 June 2016 - 06:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:18 PM

Try this procedure:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

The point is to get rid of everything that's not essential to installing Windows (and only use 1 stick of RAM)

Then try installing - if it still has problems, then it's one of the few things that are left.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 zeus12

zeus12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:02 PM

For the disassembly, I have been running everything without the case.  Motherboard on the top of the motherboard box.

Like the link, suggested only the psu, cpu/fan/cooler, 1 stick of ram, monitor, and keyboard were connected.  I have checked that all cables were full inserted properly.  I do not have a video card or optical drive like the link suggested.  So I used a bootable usb drive created on a second computer.  The bootable usb worked perfectly on two other computers where it would allow me install windows so I do not think that the usb is the problem.

When I booted up with just the usb and no hard drive I still ran into the same reboot loop.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:07 AM

So, all you have is:

- PSU

- CPU/fan/cooler

- 1 stick of RAM

- monitor

- keyboard

How about a mouse and the SSD? Yes, I saw the comment about it not working when the SSD was removed.  And it's good if there's no mouse - I just wanted to be certain about that.

You've ruled out the SSD.

Then try another stick of RAM in each of the different slots.  Oops!  You've already done this - which rules out the RAM

Have you tried another keyboard/mouse?  Have you tried them in different ports?  Maybe tried them on another computer.  (just recently at work we had a keyboard that wouldn't let a system boot reliably)

The same with the monitor - try it on another computer.

That leaves PSU, CPU, motherboard.

Although not likely, you can test the PSU by trying another one (temporarily).

You can also try a CPU tester - but they are not a 100% certain diagnostic.
If you don't have one to try, you can purchase one from a store that allows returns (for your money back) if it's not needed.

After that, it's a toss of the dice - between the CPU and the motherboard.

IME, the motherboard is most likely - but that's not enough to make a decision on.

If the motherboard is still under warranty, can you return it for an exchange?

You may also return the CPU - but those can be tested on a system that boots to Windows.

Edited by usasma, 28 June 2016 - 07:40 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 zeus12

zeus12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:27 PM

The mouse and the SSD were not connected.  The mouse, keyboard, and monitor all work on other computer without issues.

All of the parts are brand new.  I can return any of them if they don't work.

I don't have any store that has any power supplies in stock.

I guess I will exchange the motherboard and cpu since I got those as a combo online.

#6 zeus12

zeus12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:24 PM

I was able to get ahold of an optical drive to see if it worked.  Surprisingly, it worked but the installation freezes at getting files ready for installation 84%

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:51 AM

IMO, this is likely a motherboard problem.  The differences in the failures aren't major - but they're still failures.

I would return the mobo/CPU combo for another one.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users