Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oh yeah another ? from him.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:32 PM

I have win 7 sometime ago i installed a second  HD into it that i got when the usb hook up quit on the external i had.  ever since i had a F drive with a recovery file in it but my win 7 wont recover from it i recover from the 3 disc i have.  can i delete the file since im not using it.  I think its associated with the other HD that i only use for "storage".

Edited by Sabastiondoggie, 26 June 2016 - 07:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:06 PM

Do you think you could supply a Speccy report to give a more definite picture of your computer's hardware, see here, thanks to DC3 for the instructions -

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away on holiday until the 13th May. While I expect to have internet access my time on-line may well be limited and PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal.

#3 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 07:07 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/eR7lec7dGRRneWEbES1ztck

Edited by Sabastiondoggie, 26 June 2016 - 07:08 PM.

#4 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 07:09 PM

wow when i can follow instructions and get the desired result.  bravo for me!...lol  Mind you im not done installing all the crap since from my redo like my graphic card and such.

Edited by Sabastiondoggie, 26 June 2016 - 07:13 PM.

#5 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:58 AM

was you all was gonna do something with the info i posted?...lol

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:59 PM

The reason I asked for the Speccy report was to clear up the vagueness about the number of your hard drives in your OP. You refer to adding a second hard drive, but in fact you have three - a 150GB Samsung, a 465 GB WD and a 596 GB WD !

Judging from the sequence they are listed in the Speccy report, the Samsung is probably your C:\ drive, the one with your operating system on. Windows always labels the drive with the OS as C:\ . The lables given to the other two do not matter too much and is complicated by the fact that you have two CD/DVD drives which also get assigned drive letters. If you check I think you will find that the Samsung and the 465 GB WD are labelled C:\ and D:\, one CD/DVD drive is labelled E:\ and the other labelled G:\, leaving F:\ for the second WD hard drive. As a comparison, I have four hard drives in my computer :- a 1TB with my OS, applications and data on it, a 1TB and a 500GB for data and a 500GB with Linux on it, as well as two DVD drives. Windows does not 'see' the Linux drive but the other hard drives are labelled C:\, E:\ and G:\.

To come back to your question about the 'recovery' file on your F:\ drive. If you sourced this drive out of another computer the recovery file will not work on this one, so, yes, you can quite safely delete it. As you say, you have a set of discs - DVDs ? - that you can recover from.

One thing I did note from the report - you need to look at your cooling. Your hard drives are running too warm. The Samsung is running at 60C and the other two between 50 and 55C, all three temperatures are above the safe limit of 50C. Again, as a comparison, mine are sitting between 32 and 35C. Your mobo shows 49C. There is no sensor reading for the CPU temperature but it is probably up around the 60C mark.

And finally, you need to allow for the fact that not everybody on BC is in the same time zone as you and not expect near immediate replies. Your #4 was posted at 0100 hours my time and your #5 at 0500 hours. Like the majority of my countrymen I am tucked up in bed at those times.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away on holiday until the 13th May. While I expect to have internet access my time on-line may well be limited and PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal.

#7 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:51 PM

im sorry about the mix up the c drice is my os, the d is the first hd i put in that showed up with the restore file (E) and the f drive is the new HD.  i had no real room to place it some where so its in the cd/dvd secondard compartment which is right next to the computor motor and is why is running so "warm".  the two WD are in there proper place although im not sure one runs warmer than the other there is space beween the two.  but thanks for all you help and sorry i got inpatient.  by the way the other "drives are Daemontool lite drives.

Edited by Sabastiondoggie, 29 June 2016 - 08:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users