Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics card upgrade HP m8120n

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Retsamllik

Retsamllik

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:18 PM

First off im not computer savvy so i apologize.

Im looking to upgrade my graphics card in my HP Media Center m8120n, i previously upgraded with a XFX 5750 but the fan keeps crapping out. Im currently looking at a ASUS GTX750TI and i was wondering if it would work in my pc?

If you need any more info dont hesitate to ask.
Thank you in advance!!

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

System Model m8120n

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.07, 5/24/2007

SMBIOS Version 2.4

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:03 AM

Hello. It should work fine my only concern would be the older power supply you may be using. If it ran an HD 5750 fine it should run a GTX 750ti fine as well. The GTX 750it is very power efficient.

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:50 AM

Wait for few days, AMD Radeon RX 460 and RX 470 will be announced 29. june. AMD RX series cards are much more power efficient than GTX 750 Ti.

#4 Retsamllik

Retsamllik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:52 AM

Thank you for the speedy replies, i would go with the new ATX but I'm sure they'll be out of my price range. As for my power supply i upgraded it when i put in the 5750 so that should be ok.

I've read that older BIOS could make the card not even work, would the card work even though my BIOS is 2007? I checked the website for my computer but there is no update.

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:37 AM

Thank you for the speedy replies, i would go with the new ATX but I'm sure they'll be out of my price range. As for my power supply i upgraded it when i put in the 5750 so that should be ok.

I've read that older BIOS could make the card not even work, would the card work even though my BIOS is 2007? I checked the website for my computer but there is no update.

Oh yeah, I just looked that GTX 750 Ti part and forgot that's old PC. PCI Express 3.0 video cards want UEFI BIOS and I seriously doubt that board has UEFI BIOS. Had same problem with 2010 year HP. So GTX 750 Ti would not work, neither new AMD cards. So there's not much better card available than that Radeon HD 5750. Perhaps you can replace fan?

#6 Retsamllik

Retsamllik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:57 AM

This would be the 3rd fan for the card, i might just try to find another 5750 and say screw it.

Could most likely get a new computer with a better card for $600 if i save up long enough.

Thanks for the help guys really appreciate it.

EDIT:
I just found out that the OC version of this card has a Legacy switch, do you think it would work or that it would be a long shot?

event.msi.com/2014/vga/Hybrid_BIOS/

Edited by Retsamllik, 27 June 2016 - 03:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users