Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse seems to show the loading animation for long periods randomly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 VicVegas

VicVegas

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:05 PM

I don't find anything that appears to be eating up resources when it happens, but it appears to just continuously load and doesn't stop, usually it only stops whenever I start a new process. It typically does this when I have a Steam browser page open and sometimes but less often Firefox. Thinking it's virus related I did scan with Avast, MBAM and Eset but didn't find anything.

I really don't have much information to give as I cannot think of anything out of the ordinary I may have done lately that could be causing issues. Can anyone give me some pointers to where I should be looking for a cause? 90% of all topics I could find related to "stuck loading animation" just give me information related to being stuck at startup, so my searches have been fruitless.

Edited by VicVegas, 26 June 2016 - 03:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:47 PM

Had this problem on the wife's system several years ago.  Never did fix it - just bought her a new computer :(

Have you tried this free program:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Use it to disable all non-Windows shell extensions (this includes an MS Office stuff) and see if that helps.

If it does, then re-enable in small groups so you can figure out which one it is.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:15 PM

Well I never actually followed your advice (I'll get around to it but I am very apprehensive about trying things I've not done before, because I'm a dingus) but I have noticed that when this specifically happens the little spinning wheel skips around frantically instead of smoothly as normal. The easiest way to test if is happening at the time is by loading up Google Chrome, due to it already having a penchant for making the load wheel appear a lot anyway. It also seems to trigger with starting steam, apparently caused by that little ad that usually appears the first time you start it up for the day, so it's definitely apparent that it's related to using internet applications/browsing.

Right now I can tell the problem is simply not happening, there have been other times when I've noticed this, but I'm never entirely sure why it goes away. I'm starting to wonder if it's not just windows 10 being Windows 10, as it is not as if I have ceased the operation of any typical running application whenever I get it to stop. I did run ccleaner and adwcleaner to no avail, but after a recent restart it seems to have stopped again. I did notice windows mentioned it was configuring something before shutting down, which is making me think it may actually be an issue related to windows update. Quite an aggravating thought, given that I recently was reinstalling and updating windows 7 on an old laptop and windows update would CONSTANTLY break down and need an external download to fix it.

I'll post back here with the shellexview results if the issue resurfaces again.

Edited by VicVegas, 14 July 2016 - 03:16 PM.

#4 DalayLama

DalayLama

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:33 AM

Well, as far as i see, i think there is an executable file which is always executing, may be a hidden .exe.
have you checked your system for viruses or malwares?
are you connected to a removable storage when doing that?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:54 AM

What are you trying to load when this happens?

Are there any specific applications this occurs with?

I would suggest doing what USASMA has suggested.  This is a good way to learn if there are any shell extensions are causing this.

Another test you could use would be a Clean Boot.  This will show if there is a third party service or startup item causing problems.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Click or tap on the Windows kwindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the C key to open the Charms, then type msconfig in the search box.  When msconfig appears below the search box click or tap on it to open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

(1)  Click/tap on the General tab.   

(2)  Click/tap on the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

clean%20boot%201_zpsdhgjof0f.png

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

4.  Click on the Services tab. 

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list. 

clean%20boot%203_zpsyvcjopso.png

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK

clean%20boot%202_zpsekds879g.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  

Let me know if the problem persists after restarting the computer.

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8.  Devide the number of these services by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart
the computer.

9.  If the problem doesn't return in those services remove the checks and place checks in the remaining
services. 

10.  When you find which half the service is in go on to the next step.  

11.  In the half that the problem came back in you should remove the checks from the first half or the
services.

12.  Restart the computer.  If it isn't in the first half of these services, do the same with the last half of the
services. 

13.  Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services remove the checks one at a time till
you find the service at fault.

Once you have found the service post it in your topic.  Do not take any action until I suggest the next step.

Edited by dc3, 15 July 2016 - 09:55 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:59 PM

I already stated this in my second post though it may not have been made clear enough. The problem appears to have been resolved.

I ran ccleaner and rebooted, at which point windows completed an update. I believe that the issue was caused by some broken element which was fixed either by the update itself or by using ccleaner.

Though I appreciate the advice and I will remember what to do should I ever come across this issue again. Thank you for your time.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:37 AM

Right now I can tell the problem is simply not happening, there have been other times when I've noticed this, but I'm never entirely sure why it goes away. 

This sentence implies that the problem does return.  That is why I posted my suggestion, I assumed you would realize that it was intended for the next time the problem occurs.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users