Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Sp2

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 robbbbie

robbbbie

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:23 AM

Hey there,

Was wondering should I install Windows XP Service Pack 2?

I've heard that SP2 isn't stable or something rather... i've recently formatted my pc and did have SP2 but now i am wondering do i really need it and will it benefit my computer?

Thanks in advance!! :thumbsup:

ps. If you suggest I install SP2, then could you just briefly explain why :flowers:

Thanks again!

Edited by robbbbie, 11 August 2006 - 11:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:55 AM

One reason to install SP2 at this point is that Microsoft is going to cease supporting SP1, which means no more security fixes which could make your computer more vulnerable to attack.

Other BC members might have other opinions. I'm not really clear on the reasoning for NOT updating to SP2 as I have not read everything here on that subject. However, considering the SP1 will shortly no longer be supported this viewpoint may have changed; I'm not sure.

Wait for a few more responses from other members before deciding nay or yeah. :thumbsup:

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 iqchicken

iqchicken

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:21 PM

There's no reason NOT to go with SP2. Since the rumors of its instability, they have released numerous patches and fixes to correct minor problems. Of course no operating system is perfect... but if you want to use windows... SP2 is the way to go at the moment.

System:

-Windows 10 pro 64 bit

-HDD (WD10EZEX)

-MSI B75MA-P45 (MS-7798)

-Socket 1155 LGA

-AMD Radeon HD 7700

-2 STICKS OF 16GB DDR 3 RAM (G.Skill F3-10666CL9-8GBNT)

-K120 Logitech Keyboard

-Centrophorus M601 Mouse

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:22 PM

www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx

The link above is to the top 10 reasons for installing. Just a reminder, make sure you are malware free BEFORE installing.

read this before installing:support.microsoft.com/xpsp2getinstall
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:30 PM

Some corporations have not updated to SP2 because their proprietary software will not work if they do. Also, it is possible that you will develop some problems with software if it is installed. But these problems have become fewer and rarer as software developers have created fixes for their software to be compatable with SP2 over time.

Make SURE your computer is clean of all malicious software first! SP2 won't install correctly in an infected machine.

Also, in my experience, SP2 installs much better from a disk than it does from a download. You can order a disk HERE. This, of course, would especially be the preferred course of action for someone with a slow internet connection as it is a huge download.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users