Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bm_99

bm_99

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:44 PM

people ive got an old wd 2tb drive, it bleeps when i plug it in and out of the usb port but doesnt show in my computer

It shows in disk management but dont want to format anything as i want to get my files of it

Any help please people

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:45 PM

How is the drive listed in Disk Management. Does it show as RAW?

#3 bm_99

bm_99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:58 PM

How is the drive listed in Disk Management. Does it show as RAW?

yes mate, im also looking at recovery programmes so that i can take the files (if any) off then format it

Any reccomendations about the programmes aswel?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,595 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:15 PM

If the drive is listed as RAW there is a couple of ways to go about retrieving your files. The first which is the easiest would be to download UBCD. Burn the iso to disk and boot to the menu. At the menu select Parted Magic. See this guide on using it to copy files from the external to your hard drive. Sometimes linux will be able to mount the RAW disk where Windows failed. 

If you are on a computer that came pre-installed with Windows 8 or 10 you will need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI/BIOS before UBCD will boot. What is the make and model of your computer?

If you are unable to mount the RAW external using Parted Magic there are other tools that we can use to recover the data but first try Parted Magic. 

#5 bm_99

bm_99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:36 AM

If the drive is listed as RAW there is a couple of ways to go about retrieving your files. The first which is the easiest would be to download UBCD. Burn the iso to disk and boot to the menu. At the menu select Parted Magic. See this guide on using it to copy files from the external to your hard drive. Sometimes linux will be able to mount the RAW disk where Windows failed. 

If you are on a computer that came pre-installed with Windows 8 or 10 you will need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI/BIOS before UBCD will boot. What is the make and model of your computer?

If you are unable to mount the RAW external using Parted Magic there are other tools that we can use to recover the data but first try Parted Magic. 

hi mate, thanks for the advice

I am fairly it competent but not that much lol, is there a step by step guide you can give on how to use ubcd. Never done anything like that before 

Its a lenovo laptop im using mate

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,595 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:36 AM

Sorry, I did not give the correct link to the guide which is quite detailed on the use of Parted Magic. If you have any questions on how Parted Magic is used after seeing the guide please post them. Parted Magic basically works like Windows except the naming convention for disks is different. 

http://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html

Edit: If Parted Magic cannot mount the external drive there are some tools on the UBCD that can be used. But, If Parted Magic fails I would try this next.

Burn an iso of Partition Wizard Bootable. Start the Partition Recovery Wizard and do a Quick Scan or the external drive. Do not do the Full Scan. If any partitions are found check the box next to it and then double click the partition. Do you see your files? Don't proceed any further. Post back if this was successful.

If no partitions are detected then we will need to use some tools on the UBCD which may find your files allowing you to copy them to your internal drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 June 2016 - 07:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users