My Windows 7 home destktop PC recently developed these problems:
1. Sluggish performance by Google Chrome, freezing, causing occasional crashes to blue screen;
2. Sluggish loading of desktop upon startup, very slow, sometimes failed opening of Windows Explorer;
3. Eventually Chrome stopped working - when launched, it would try unsuccessfully to load any URL; will keep trying and preventing me from opening/running anything else on the machine; eventually I'd need to shut down using the power switch. Repeated tries yielded the same result - I clean un-installed Chrome, cleaned registry, restarted, re-installed Chrome, nothing worked. Each time I'd try running Chrome, my machine essentially just froze up while Chrome tried to access the home page I'd always had it bring up upon launch.
4. I did several scans for malware using MalwareBytes Antimalware, eSET, MS Security Essentials, with no threats detected in all cases.
5. I went on SpywareInfoForum.com to seek help. I was given extensive instructions on how to scan, clean, try many things with the machine, including having it do a clean boot, to no avail. To make a long story short, I'm currently running the machine each time with a clean boot, but still the problem with Chrome remains.
6. During the investigation of this problem with Chrome I checked Windows Update and it told me I had 58 critical updates I hadn't applied. So I tried doing that, but eventually found out that the download of updates would stay at 0% KB download, progress at 0% indefinitely. I went through another research on online posts and instructions on how to resolve this. After trying many different solutions, I can now do a few patches at a time (2 or 3), and have them actually get installed. But each such try would take very very long to do, and the Windows Update status dialog would always show 0KB downloaded and 0% progress, until I would finish my work on the computer, shutdown, and then I'll see that Windows is applying the updates it had downloaded. So I have no idea how long the downloads and installations actually take to get done. So far I've managed to update 4-5 of the 57 updates I'm still missing. I also tried an offline update installer I found on the web, but that didn't seem to have made things any better.
7. We also found out that I could make Chrome running like normal again if I go into its properties and make it run in Vista Compatibility mode. I have to do that every time, and then I can use Chrome. Otherwise, in spite of everything else I've done (clean out Windows, chkdsk, clean boot, etc.) Chrome will hang again if I don't run it in Vista compatibility mode.
8. Eventually the kind helper I worked with on SpywareInfo Forum told me to come here and post, maybe I will be able to get someone who can help me with this issue. Here is the link to the SpywareInfo Forum where I had the problem researched and attempts were made to help me take care of it, please review if you want. I would very very much welcome any help, thank you so very much.
Edited by hamluis, 28 June 2016 - 01:14 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.