Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Excruciatingly Slow, Google Chrome Compatibility Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Davvy123

Davvy123

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:05 PM

Hello,

My Windows 7 home destktop PC recently developed these problems:

1. Sluggish performance by Google Chrome, freezing, causing occasional crashes to blue screen;

2. Sluggish loading of desktop upon startup, very slow, sometimes failed opening of Windows Explorer;

3. Eventually Chrome stopped working - when launched, it would try unsuccessfully to load any URL; will keep trying and preventing me from opening/running anything else on the machine; eventually I'd need to shut down using the power switch. Repeated tries yielded the same result - I clean un-installed Chrome, cleaned registry, restarted, re-installed Chrome, nothing worked. Each time I'd try running Chrome, my machine essentially just froze up while Chrome tried to access the home page I'd always had it bring up upon launch.

4. I did several scans for malware using MalwareBytes Antimalware, eSET, MS Security Essentials, with no threats detected in all cases.

5. I went on SpywareInfoForum.com to seek help. I was given extensive instructions on how to scan, clean, try many things with the machine, including having it do a clean boot, to no avail. To make a long story short, I'm currently running the machine each time with a clean boot, but still the problem with Chrome remains.

6. During the investigation of this problem with Chrome I checked Windows Update and it told me I had 58 critical updates I hadn't applied. So I tried doing that, but eventually found out that the download of updates would stay at 0% KB download, progress at 0% indefinitely. I went through another research on online posts and instructions on how to resolve this. After trying many different solutions, I can now do a few patches at a time (2 or 3), and have them actually get installed. But each such try would take very very long to do, and the Windows Update status dialog would always show 0KB downloaded and 0% progress, until I would finish my work on the computer, shutdown, and then I'll see that Windows is applying the updates it had downloaded. So I have no idea how long the downloads and installations actually take to get done. So far I've managed to update 4-5 of the 57 updates I'm still missing. I also tried an offline update installer I found on the web, but that didn't seem to have made things any better.

7. We also found out that I could make Chrome running like normal again if I go into its properties and make it run in Vista Compatibility mode. I have to do that every time, and then I can use Chrome. Otherwise, in spite of everything else I've done (clean out Windows, chkdsk, clean boot, etc.) Chrome will hang again if I don't run it in Vista compatibility mode.

8. Eventually the kind helper I worked with on SpywareInfo Forum told me to come here and post, maybe I will be able to get someone who can help me with this issue. Here is the link to the SpywareInfo Forum where I had the problem researched and attempts were made to help me take care of it, please review if you want. I would very very much welcome any help, thank you so very much.

http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/topic/136657-crashing-to-blue-screen-unresponsive-google-chrome/

David

Edited by hamluis, 28 June 2016 - 01:14 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Davvy123

Davvy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:38 AM

Update: I have now been able to get my Windows 7 fully updated. This is from reading and following instructions from this page:

http://www.howtogeek.com/255435/how-to-update-windows-7-all-at-once-with-microsofts-convenience-rollup/

I downloaded the MS convenience rollup package, ran that, it installed a bunch of updates all the way up to May 2016. I then used Windows Update to do the remaining patches, several at a time, until the last batch, when I did about 20, 25 of them, and this time, they downloaded and installed fairly quickly.

So great, I got that one problem solved. But then Google Chrome is still not behaving normally on my clean (and still booting clean), fully updated Windows 7. I still have to run it in Vista compatibility mode, otherwise it will hang on launch, trying over and over to load a starting page, without success. And it can't get to any other page either, eventually just causing me to close or kill it with the Task Manager.

Help! Anyone here have any idea how I should troubleshoot and fix this ongoing problem?

Thanks for any and all advice.

#3 Davvy123

Davvy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:45 PM

Anyone has a suggestion to offer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users