Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search not working

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 iamkitten

iamkitten

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:39 AM

After i reset my computer to factory settings I've been having this problem where the search bar on windows isn't working. I am currently on windows 10 and have not been having this problem before the reset, originally my pc was windows 7. 

When i click on the windows button and type something to search the box just goes black and stays like that until i click out of it. I've tried waiting and I've tried pressing enter after typing something to search, neither work. 

80ed26ca87b898992de07986cad11778.gif

When i click the search icon and type something to search it only registers the first letter then closes itself.

099e3b262f54929e706471ff060278c5.gif

Please help.

Edited by iamkitten, 26 June 2016 - 10:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:48 PM

Your issue with Cortana is hard to repair i have come a cross this issue with Cortana search function not working even on my own computer some i had repaired and lot of times i had no luck repairing this issue let try few troubleshooting steps to repair Cortana if non works then i would guide you to do repair install of Windows 10 this is simple step to complete it does take time to complete but you will not change any setting you have made also programs you have installed and your personal files will not be affected by repair install of Windows 10 if you want to do the repair install any time please inform me.

Step 1:

1. Open Command Prompt as a administrator by pressing BxVxp04.png + X keys and select Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. From Command Prompt type below commands one at time and press Enter key when you finnish with below commands check and see issue resolved if not follow my instructions at step 2.
Sc config WSearch start= delayed-auto

Sc Start WSearch 

Step 2:

Open Control Panel --> Troubleshooting -->  System and Security and run Search and Indexing tool to repair problems with Windows Search.

Step 3:

If Search and Indexing tool has not resolve the issue then execute below command one at time and press Enter key. Below command will reinstall Cortana after executing below commands restart your computer and check to see issue has been resolved.

1. Open Command Prompt as a administrator by pressing BxVxp04.png + X keys and select Command Prompt (Admin).
  2.  Type PowerShell command and press Enter key.
Get-Process searchui | Stop-Process –Force

Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Edited by FreeBooter, 26 June 2016 - 01:48 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users