Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions on the Asus X555UB

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 bcmo

bcmo

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:26 AM

Hi everyone,
I'm considering getting the Asus X555UB laptop for general Internet use as well as Word processing, video and music, and other such things.
I have a few questions about it:
  • As it doesn't specify in the Amazon page above, is it a Asus X555UB-nh51 or Asus X555UB-ns71. And what's the difference between them?
  • As the X555UB is a Intel Core i5 and 7200 RPM (Revolutions Per Minute), is that better or worse than a Intel Core i7 - 5400 RPM that the ASUS Flip 2 in 1 and ASUS FLIP-TP500LA2016 are and have?
  • In general, is the X555UB a good and fast computer?  Is it worth the money? Does it come bundled with lots of bloatware? And in general what is your opinion and/or experience with it (and the other two mentioned)?
Thank you in advance for your advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:55 PM

• As it doesn't specify in the Amazon page above, is it a Asus X555UB-nh51 or Asus X555UB-ns71. And what's the difference between them?

The difference is extremely minor. The one listed on the page is the NH51. 

They both use all the same hardware, but the CPU in the NS71 is clocked at 2.5Ghz instead of 2.3Ghz like the NH51. It would make no difference. It's purely for marketing as the NS51 is listed as as having a i5, but the NS71 a i7. Again the differnce between the i7 and i5 in this case is extremely minor and you shouldn't care. 

• As the X555UB is a Intel Core i5 and 7200 RPM (Revolutions Per Minute), is that better or worse than a Intel Core i7 - 5400 RPM that the ASUS Flip 2 in 1 and ASUS FLIP-TP500LA2016 are and have?

The i5 in the X555UB is faster then both. The hard drive is also faster then what either has. 

• In general, is the X555UB a good and fast computer?  Is it worth the money? Does it come bundled with lots of bloatware? And in general what is your opinion and/or experience with it (and the other two mentioned)?

It'd be better with a SSD, but as far as all the other daily computer tasks are concerned it's more then powerful than anything that'd get thrown at it would ever need.

It's priced alright and is decent for what you're doing. Not the best by any means, but good enough.

ASUS is a lot better then most other laptop makers when it comes to bloatware (HP, DELL, Lenovo, ETC). It's still on it, but very reasonable. 

The flipbook and 2-in-1 would be terrible since touchscreen devices really should have a SSD to be usable as a touch device. Using a mechanical drive in them (what they have) adds in a little bit of delay for everything you do. Making the touch part of it feel unresponsive and disconnected from what you'd want to feel.

Edited by SEANIA, 26 June 2016 - 01:12 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:54 PM

Thank you Seania for your reply.

• Is the wireless 802.11ac ability the best, or is there anything currently out there that's better than that? (Not that I would necessarily go for that, but just curious.)
  • I assume that the Processor being just 2.30 GHz doesn't mean that it's not as good in terms of processing speed? As it is only a drop higher than my current slow/feezy laptop's (AMD Athlon Dual-Core QL -62) 2.00 GHz.
  • As it's cheaper from Newegg than it is on Amazon (even here), would there be any reason to opt for the latter one and not the former?

Thank you again.

Edited by bcmo, 26 June 2016 - 01:54 PM.

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:38 PM

• Is the wireless 802.11ac ability the best, or is there anything currently out there that's better than that? (Not that I would necessarily go for that, but just curious.)

Wireless AC is the current best, but there are little to no wireless routers that have it and the ones that do are over 100$. It's backwards compatible though so it doesn't matter. 

• I assume that the Processor being just 2.30 GHz doesn't mean that it's not as good in terms of processing speed? As it is only a drop higher than my current slow/feezy laptop's (AMD Athlon Dual-Core QL -62) 2.00 GHz.

Ghz speed means little to nothing when comparing CPUs from different generations/line-ups. The i5 that is in that could be running at 1.1 Ghz and still be faster then your AMD Athlon @ 2Ghz.

There is a TON that goes into making it faster besides clock speed. 

• As it's cheaper from Newegg than it is on Amazon (even here), would there be any reason to opt for the latter one and not the former?

Not really. If you have Amazon prime for cheaper shipping then that might be a reason for it. Amazon can also be a tad better about returns.

Newegg is the current king of online computer stores in the US. So they're usually the first to carry a new product, or lower the prices to adjust for tech age/new products being introduced. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:41 PM

Thank you.

Would you happen to know if the "N series", "E series", "X series", etc. (on their site) mean anything in terms of a common denominator that each group offers respectively?

Newegg is the current king of online computer stores in the US. So they're usually the first to carry a new product, or lower the prices to adjust for tech age/new products being introduced. 

As I've seen a lot of negative reviews for newegg.com, would you recommend buying a $600 laptop from them?

Edited by bcmo, 26 June 2016 - 08:50 PM.

#6 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:56 PM

Thank you.
Would you happen to know if the "N series", "E series", "X series", etc. (on their site) mean anything in terms of a common denominator that each group offers respectively?

The idea is that they're suppose to determine different use groups, and/or how the money is budgeted into the laptop. That said, a lot of them are really similar and hard to distinguish. 

F series: Netbooks. (think 6 to 12 inch screens)

E series: It defines their, now re-branded to E series, Eee PC line of laptops. Originally use to only come with Linux. The idea being that they're really cheap portable laptops/netbooks that were good for experimenting with code on. Quick, small, light, long battery life, and extremely portable (generally netbook sized). That's my understanding at least. 

N series: High end multi-media laptop. Have high-resolution high-picture/color quality screens, blu-ray readers, long battery life, and powerful enough hardware to handle any media thrown at it like 4k @60FPS video. 

Republic Of Gamers (or ROG for short): Big beefy gaming laptops. Weight, battery life, and size don't matter. All that matters is raw gaming performance. 

K series: Regular looking laptops, but with gaming grade graphics on board. 

X series: Regular laptops. The occasional bonus thing thrown in on top. In your case it's a lower-end dedicated video card. The video card isn't fast enough to justify it being in the K series though.

ZenBook: Ultrabooks. They're Windows, ASUS branded and made, MacBooks basically.

Think I covered them all?

Edited by SEANIA, 26 June 2016 - 08:56 PM.

#7 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:10 PM

Think I covered them all?

Think so. Great job.

• As I've seen a lot of negative reviews for newegg.com, would you recommend buying a $600 laptop from them? Or would it be safe to pay more and go with Amazon?
  • Would you happen to know whether the section under the fan of the X555UB is able to be unscrewed on its own (to air spray the dusty fan)? Cause the laptop I have now requires the whole bottom to be unscrewed, thus I was never able to open the fan and give it a real good spray, but instead had to rely on spraying from the outside which isn't nearly as good.

Thank you so much for your advice.

Edited by bcmo, 26 June 2016 - 10:11 PM.

#8 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:38 AM

• As I've seen a lot of negative reviews for newegg.com, would you recommend buying a $600 laptop from them? Or would it be safe to pay more and go with Amazon?

They're perfectly fine to buy things from. Again returns aren't as good as Amazon, but they're definitely a reliable well-know site.

If you meant why that laptop in particular has lower reviews. It's because it has more reviews. Amazons 3 reviews doesn't really give it a good overall compared to the 37 on Newegg. You're always going to find bad reviews on a product once it gets purchased enough. It's your job to decide whether or not to take them seriously, or if you're willing to go through the returns process with Newegg to get it sorted out if it goes bad (do not RMA to ASUS directly). 

It's ASUS though so I wouldn't worry to much. They make some of the highest quality laptops there are next to Lenovo ( both apparently having lower fail rates then Apple). That said, it could be a fluke bad model/design. Those happen when you're a company designing 50 new laptops from scratch every year. 

EDIT: almost forgot this.

• Would you happen to know whether the section under the fan of the X555UB is able to be unscrewed on its own (to air spray the dusty fan)? Cause the laptop I have now requires the whole bottom to be unscrewed, thus I was never able to open the fan and give it a real good spray, but instead had to rely on spraying from the outside which isn't nearly as good.

Can't find any pictures of the bottom, but bottom hatches are less common now to help make them thinner, and even the ones that do tend to have very small ones only for swapping out RAM and hard drives. 

Edited by SEANIA, 27 June 2016 - 06:47 AM.

#9 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:09 AM

They're perfectly fine to buy things from. Again returns aren't as good as Amazon, but they're definitely a reliable well-know site.

If you meant why that laptop in particular has lower reviews. It's because it has more reviews. Amazons 3 reviews doesn't really give it a good overall compared to the 37 on Newegg. You're always going to find bad reviews on a product once it gets purchased enough. It's your job to decide whether or not to take them seriously, or if you're willing to go through the returns process with Newegg to get it sorted out if it goes bad (do not RMA to ASUS directly). 

I was referring more to negative reviews that I've seen while researching the site Newegg itself (not so much this laptop in particular). Many people have had bad experiences with their shipments/customer service/return/exchanges etc. That's probably what you meant when you said that Amazon's a tad better (though maybe more than just a tad).

Though I wonder how if Asus makes a good laptop, it could somehow "go bad" when going through Newegg.

#10 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:58 AM

Though I wonder how if Asus makes a good laptop, it could somehow "go bad" when going through Newegg.

Not possible. The boxes come sealed from ASUS to Newegg, and then when newegg ships it they put it in a even bigger box with more packing material. 

I was referring more to negative reviews that I've seen while researching the site Newegg itself (not so much this laptop in particular). Many people have had bad experiences with their shipments/customer service/return/exchanges etc. That's probably what you meant when you said that Amazon's a tad better (though maybe more than just a tad).

In terms of customer support, shipping, and returns, Amazon is godly. I've never seen any other site able to match what they provide.

Their system is so accepting that it actually encourages people to take advantage of how easy they are. People will often buy much higher end PCs and PC parts from Amazon, swap out the new item with their old one, and then send it back for a full refund. Only for someone else to receive the returned package and feel cheated- which amazon happily takes back, but still. (Happens way more often then you'd think. See someone post about it at least once a month.)

Obviously Newegg doesn't make as much of a profit, and can't really afford to take constant losses like that. Especially when dealing with $$$ computer equipment and people smart enough to use said equipment inside and out. So it's easy to see why they're a bit more skeptical on returns. To keep people from doing what Amazon just accepts as a fact of life. 

It's not that Newegg is bad. It's just that everyone is use to the god-like service that Amazon provides, that is near impossible for any other site to do. If you take amazon out for the picture, Newegg has pretty good service. It's part of the reason why it's the number one go to site for online computer part shopping.

Justa....save all your packaging. It's 2nd nature to the tech inclined, but most people throw it out without realizing you need it if you want to RMA or return it to the site. Without the packaging no one will accept it. 

Edited by SEANIA, 27 June 2016 - 10:00 AM.

#11 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:12 AM

People will often buy much higher end PCs and PC parts from Amazon, swap out the new item with their old one, and then send it back for a full refund. Only for someone else to receive the returned package and feel cheated- which amazon happily takes back, but still.

• But if Amazon sees that the device was tampered with why can't they refuse to accept it for the obvious reason? Why would they sell a PC and then accept a return for some of its parts? (Not to mention the unethical nature of this.)
  • I assume they must have "previously-owned PC-parts" markets and customers that they can sell all these returned PC parts to?

Edited by bcmo, 27 June 2016 - 10:13 AM.

#12 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:16 AM

• But if Amazon sees that the device was tampered with why can't they refuse to accept it for the obvious reason? Why would they sell a PC and then accept a return for some of its parts? (Not to mention the unethical nature of this.)

There aren't exactly tech-savy people working at the Amazon returns. 

This is a brand new MSI Graphics card using a Nvidia GTX 1080 in it. It just came out, and is barely a month old. It costs 700$ USD new.

2730116-b.jpg

This next one is a MSI card, with a Nvidia GTX 980 in it. It came out June of 2015. Its performance puts its used price at around 300$ now.
1167948.jpg

Now tell me. Being a non-tech inclined person like yourself. How would you know,  that it's what suppose to be in the box or not?

It's not just graphics cards that are like this. Laptop manufactures will often use the same exact visual design for lot of laptops to save money. Meaning you could buy a 400$ laptop, and change it out with a 1300$ one. The guy that checks it not knowing any better.

Further more. A lot of laptop boxes and high end PC part boxes have no picture of the product on the box. Meaning people have gotten away with putting garbage 20$ video cards in the boxes of 700$ ones. The guy that checks it thinking "that's a video card I guess" and not giving it a 2nd thought. 

• I assume they must have "previously-owned PC-parts" markets and customers that they can sell all these returned PC parts to?

They don't, and can't both because they don't have the proper packaging, and because what they get is so out of date it's un-sellable (plus I don't think Amazon even has a refurb department). They most likely send them to a electronic waste disposal company of some kind.....that or the trash can.

Edited by SEANIA, 27 June 2016 - 11:18 AM.

#13 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:27 PM

So who's feeling cheated if Amazon happily takes them back?

Only for someone else to receive the returned package and feel cheated- which amazon happily takes back, but still.

Anyway, my reaction to this whole practice is "Oh my, this is not good".

Edited by bcmo, 27 June 2016 - 12:29 PM.

#14 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:07 PM

So who's feeling cheated if Amazon happily takes them back?

People who feel like Amazon did it on purpose. *shrug*

#15 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:28 AM

Thank you very much Seania, your advice was very much appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users