Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

win10 downloading updates while wifi off??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 circe801

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:22 AM

i have noticed that i can put my laptop to sleep (therefore, wifi is off), and when i wake it back up, there are magically new downloaded updates, sometimes requiring a restart.  other times, a notification will pop up that says, "updates were installed".  HOW does this happen on a sleeping pc??  thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,453 posts
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:34 AM

Either your ethernet [hard-wire] is always on, and/or, your Power Options have WakeUp on Lan [well, that's what my Windows 7 calls it].

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,642 posts
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:05 PM

And you were under the impression that only you had access to your pc...?....nah...mr msft says otherwise....

Read Here

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

#4 robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:18 PM

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users