Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Start Up Global Entry

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mypenry

mypenry

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:57 AM

Ive just been doing some surfing , and for some reason now I keep getting a Spybot Search & Destroy
warning box come on the screen saying .....

Spybot Search & Destroy

Spybot Search & Destroy has detceted an important registry entry that has been changed

Category ... System Start up Global Entry

Change ..... Value Added

Entry.......... Quick Time Task

New Data .... C:/ Program Files / Quick Time / qttask.exe

Allow ....... Yes or No

it keep comong on screen every 5 minuets or so..?

Ive not allowed as yet .... what should I do next please...?

Thanks ........... Mypenry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:23 AM

Did you just install or upgrade QuickTime?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:12 AM

Hi Orange Blossom... Thanks for your reply,

Did you just install or upgrade QuickTime? ... no

but ive noticed that its been un ticked in the system configration utility startup ( msconfig ) ..?

I think I must have un ticked the box when trying out some tweaking ( which I now don't try
as it got me into all sorts of problems , so now i leave things alone .. )

thanks again ........... Mypenry

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,702 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:12 PM

Okay, I have a few other questions:

1) The Spybot warning: Is that from it's TeaTimer function? I think it is.

2) Do you know if QuickTime was checked at the time you installed/set-up SpyBot?

3) When you were surfing, did anything want to use QuickTime?

4) Do you use QuickTime for anything?
-------
The two things I can think of at this point:

1) QuickTime was checked when Spybot came aboard and now is unchecked and Spybot has noticed it and wants to know if you want it changed back.

2) QuickTime wan't checked when Spybot came aboard and something wants to put a check there and at the moment Spybot is blocking it and wants to know if you want it checked.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:57 PM

Media players are a funny lot, since each exerts it's "will-to-power" to control your computer. The qttask.exe seems to provide QT in your system tray, and this is certainly an optional "benefit." Sometimes, just lauching a player, or using it, will cause it to do these kinds of things (Real Player is a major "offender").

I would certainly suggest you use the Startup Utility in Spybot to manage what applications launch on boot, and avoid using MSCONFIG.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:56 AM

Thanks ....Orange Blossom and John for your replys....

Okay, I have a few other questions:

1) The Spybot warning: Is that from it's TeaTimer function? I think it is. ............... Yes I think So

2) Do you know if QuickTime was checked at the time you installed/set-up SpyBot?...... Yes I think so

3) When you were surfing, did anything want to use QuickTime?....... I don't really know what Quick Time is needed for so can't really say yes or no

4) Do you use QuickTime for anything? ........ I don't really know what Quick Time is needed for so can't really say

-------
The two things I can think of at this point:

1) QuickTime was checked when Spybot came aboard and now is unchecked and Spybot has noticed it and wants to know if you want it changed back....

I would say that Quick Time was checked right from getting this new computer, and I did try some tweaking and un checked Quick Time from the Start up as advised..?

2) QuickTime wan't checked when Spybot came aboard and something wants to put a check there and at the moment Spybot is blocking it and wants to know if you want it checked....

I would say that it was checked and I un checked it ( and its still un checked in the start up ) Do I really need it to start up
and do I really need it to run , if may be I don't know if I need it or not..? I have noticed that a large number of games that came pre loaded with the computer will now not run, when I click start on the game all i get is a blank screen with a blue band at the top and in the top right corner it says ...FLASH.

Thanks for your help ..... Mypenry

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,702 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 01:34 PM

QuickTime is a program that allows you to play certain kinds of multimedia files on the computer - both sound and visual aspects. For example: Encyclopaedia Britannica 2004 Ready Reference - a program I have - uses it to play the mini-documentaries it has.

No, QuickTime doesn't need to start up when you start up windows. You only need it running when running programs that use it. I'm beginning to wonder if you have some unfriendly something that got onto your computer that is trying to change your settings. It looks as though something is wanting to change the setting on QuickTime to startup right away. I don't like this. Continue to block it. What other security programs do you have? Update them, and scan your system to see if they find anything.

Edit After reading jgweed's post, I have another question. Did you watch any video type stuff when you were surfing that day?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 13 August 2006 - 01:36 PM.

Orange Blossom

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:07 PM

start quicktime/click on edit/click on preferences/click on quicktime preferences/click on update/ uncheck check for updates automatically
All Spybot is asking is if you want quicktime to start automatically or not. Uncheck quicktime in startup list of teatimer and follow the directions above if you don't want quicktime to start automatically.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:30 AM

Thanks for all the replys,

Well this is the latest .....

( A ) start quicktime/click on edit/click on preferences/click on quicktime preferences/click on update/ uncheck check for updates automatically...

OK I did this ....

( B ) ....No, QuickTime doesn't need to start up when you start up windows. You only need it running when running programs that use it. I'm beginning to wonder if you have some unfriendly something that got onto your computer that is trying to change your settings. It looks as though something is wanting to change the setting on QuickTime to startup right away. I don't like this. Continue to block it. What other security programs do you have? Update them, and scan your system to see if they find anything....

Ok ive blocked it , and did several security scans ( after up- dating the scan programms ) ... only cookie trackers found

( C ) .... would certainly suggest you use the Startup Utility in Spybot to manage what applications launch on boot, and avoid using MSCONFIG.

OK ...Ive un checked it in Spyboy startup Utility ....

( D ) Ive un checked it in msconfig startup

and now I get a pop up from soybot Resident saying Change denied , this pop up is coming on screen
every 5 mimuets ....?

So I am back to getting a pop up ..?

I am not to sure just whats going on ...? why after doing all the above I still get a pop up from Spybot ..?

any ideas how I can stop this pop up ...? its driving me mad !!

Thanks again ......... Mypenry

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,702 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:46 PM

Hi mypenry:

Please read David's post which I have pasted in below. This should take care of your problem.

I suggest you to disable it [Tea-Timer] because it can interfere with the changes you'll make on your system.
Try making the changes whilst tea timer is disabled.
If the changes stay, you know TeaTimer is responsible.

If teatimer gives you a warning afterwards that some changes were made, allow this instead of blocking it.
How to disable TeaTimer during HijackThis Cleanup

Then, when you want to turn tea timer back on, download ResetTeaTimer.bat.
Double click ResetTeaTimer.bat to remove all entries set by TeaTimer.

David

Edited by Orange Blossom, 15 August 2006 - 04:46 PM.

Orange Blossom

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,702 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:53 PM

Okay,

We have two members experiencing similar problems with QuickTime but apparently from different causes and different reasons but apparently starting at about the same time.

Here is the link to the other topic
Is there something malicious going on or is it some sort of crazy bug or just a weird coincidence? Why won't this problem get fixed and stay fixed?

I think we need to get together on these two and find out if there is something in common.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 15 August 2006 - 08:58 PM.

Orange Blossom

#12 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:46 AM

HI Orange Blossom,

well ive posted my problem on the Spybot Search & destroy help forum,
( http://forums.spybot.info/index.php ) ....... and received this reply...

The reason why TeaTimer asked you is because it would ask you about any similar changes in the registry without regarding if it is good or bad.
There are so many registry keys that it is impossible to classify them by default. So the user has to decide if he wants to allow it or not.
The TeaTimer is making snapshot files when you start it the first time and the tool is comparing the current registry with the snapshot files.
If you want to make a new snapshot files please shutdown the TeaTimer with the Resident icon and then start it manually from the Spybot S&D program folder.
There is no possibility yet to hide the popups which remind you which keys are blocked. As a workaround, you can only make new snap shot files.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Just looking at the help website it seem's there are many people having the same type of problem..?

so may be its just an on going fault or some thing ..? , I was a bit taken back by part of their answer....

There is no possibility yet to hide the popups which remind you which keys are blocked. As a workaround, you can only make new snap shot files.

I am going to give their advice a try and will post my results , but Ive got a funny feeling there's more to all this than meets the eye ..?

so Thanks for help again and fingers crossed ............ Mypenry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users