Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Move deduplicated data to another disk

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 flesz

flesz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:37 AM

Hi Guys,

I wonder what is the best way to copy deduplicated data from one volume on windows 2012 R2 to another volume on the same server without data rehydration?

I have a physical server with local disks which has a deduplicated volume.  The volume is getting low on disk space so I bought a synology NAS where I enabled iscsi lun and attached it to the server. I would like to move all the deduplicated  data to that new volume without un-deduplicating it. Is that possible?

I tried simple copy , but it appears it is not working. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:03 PM

"I have a physical server with local disks which has a deduplicated volume."

You mean they were in a raid 1 array? No such thing as deduplicated.  If you broke the mirror [raid1 ]then you have duplicate copies of the same.

If you mean by deduplicated you broke the mirror set... I have to ask why?  Would not result in more space and you lost disk failover which makes you only as good as your last full backup.

Please clarify.  Thanks

#3 flesz

flesz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:00 PM

Hi,

I meant windows feature called deduplication. That has nothing to do with RAID.

I enabled deduplication on one of the volumes on the server. I want to move deduplicated data to another volume attached to that server.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:39 AM

My understanding is you will need to undo the deduplication and then move the data.  Then you can dedup the nas volume

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh848440.aspx

Though you may have to backup and delete data on the volume to get enough disk space to do the operation.

#5 High_Technology

High_Technology

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:19 AM

Wooah OK!

Got it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users