Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus/malware/exploit/logger solutions for $50 per year?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mkurzke

mkurzke

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:14 AM

I am looking for a comprehensive solution that protects against

- virus

- exploits

- malware (realtime)

- key logger / screen capture

It should not be too heavy on my system performance. I am willing to spend up to 50 USD per year max. Is there a "security suite" at this price point that covers everything?

Failing that, is this a good solution?

- Bitdefender free

- Zemana AntiMalware Premium (40 USD / 3 years = 13 USD per year)

- Zemana AntiLogger (60 USD / 3 years = 20 USD per year)

- Malwarebytes Anti Exploit free

Are there any conflicts / overlap between these? 

Is the Anti-Exploit needed on top of the others, considering I follow standard security practices in terms of passwords, browsing, keeping updated? 

Thanks a lot for your insights

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:25 AM

I recommend ESET Smart Security.

https://www.eset.com/int/

FYI, you must ONLY use ONE Antivirus/Internet Security product.

Using multiple can cause conflicts.

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:21 PM

There is also the option of Emsisoft Anti-Malware and a free anti-exploit program such as MBAE. Emsisoft's Behavior Blocker covers the anti-keylogging department so you should be fine.

Do you have an ad blocker? A lot of malware arrives via malvertising, so having an adblocker can reduce the attack surface for exploits before anti-exploit software comes into play.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:24 PM

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular setup that works well for one person may not work as well for another. Everyone's system is different and sometimes you may need to experiment in order to find the combination which works best and is most suitable for your needs. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone.

For anti-virus, I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay, then I would recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

If you have not done so already, you may want to read:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 mkurzke

mkurzke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:25 AM

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful

Looks like ESET and Emsisoft are both good solutions. I much prefer that over installing 4 separate pieces of software

From the initial impression (and price) I would slightly prefer ESET. Does ESET have an anti keylogger component similar to Emsisoft? I am especially interested about securing the clipboard. I am using Lastpass and have to copy+paste passwords in case the autofill is not working

@Sintharius, I do use uBlock Origin

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:12 AM

In the long run Emsisoft is actually cheaper, as paid customers get 25% off after the initial purchase and then 5% off for each year afterwards, up to a maximum of 60%.

ESET has HIPS which should guard against keylogging by definition, but the default rules are pretty weak from what I've heard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users