Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop automatic updates?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TechWiz365

TechWiz365

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:49 PM

How do I stop or disable automatic updates from restarting my system against my own will in Windows 10 Home edition?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:18 AM

Windows Update Can’t Be Disabled (or Delayed) on Windows 10 Home

To ensure everyone is secure and up-to-date on a stable platform, Microsoft won’t allow Windows 10 Home systems to delay Windows updates. Updates will automatically download, and they’ll be installed when you next reboot, or you can schedule a reboot. You’re not allowed to disable Windows Update entirely, and you’re also not allowed to put updates off if you don’t want to install them.

The only options are “Automatic (recommended)” and “Notify to schedule restart.”

img_55725085a91cd.png

Edited by Condobloke, 26 June 2016 - 12:25 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:57 PM

There’s no way to “hide” an update or block updates from within Windows itself, but Microsoft provides a downloadable tool to do this. It’s intended for temporarily hiding buggy or otherwise problematic while they don’t work properly on your system.

Download and run the “Show or hide updates” troubleshooter for Windows 10 from Microsoft.

When you run this troubleshooter, it will search for available updates and allow you to “hide” them, preventing Windows from automatically installing them. In the future, you can run this troubleshooter again and unhide the updates when you want to install them.

Windows Updates cannot be downloaded while Windows Firewall service has been disabled also just set your current Internet connection as “metered” Windows won’t download updates while connected to metered — at least until you tell Windows the connection isn’t metered anymore.

Posted Image

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,822 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:57 AM

I've been using the "Notify" option since day one.   Be aware, though, that you don't get a "wait until your ready,"  you get a wait about a day or so and, if you haven't used the "Restart Now" feature to force the updates to install the system will eventually schedule an install based on your activity pattern.  On my machine these always get scheduled for the wee small hours of the morning, but I've never had one happen because when I get a notification that Updates are ready I generally do the graceful restart after I've closed down all the programs I was currently using.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users