Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving Backup from one PC to Another/Keeping Backup Updated

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lilly123

Lilly123

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:19 PM

Hi.

About 2 months ago, my ASUS Laptop crashed. I took it in to the workshop, and they backed it up on to an external hard drive.

Now I have purchased a new laptop, and I would like to transfer the old computer to the new one. 

I want know how I can get an updated backup of the old computer, and how I can put that on the new computer.

Can anyone tell me how I can do this?

Thank you for your time. :) 

-Lilly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:44 AM

Is the old computer running again?  If not, then you will likely have to essentially do things "manually" (i.e. take out the drive of the old computer, hook it up to the new computer using an external USB enclosure or a USB universal drive connector, and then manually search through the old drive for files that you want to copy over to the new computer).  If it is running, then you can use Windows Easy Transfer (

And FWIW, you essentially cannot transfer most "traditional" applications (applications from the Windows Store in Windows 8 or newer are kind of different and easier to deal with) from one Windows computer to another.  You need to install the applications from their original install discs or download files.  There might be some that can be transferred, but most cannot due to how Windows works (i.e. many applications modify the Registry when they are installed, which is not something that is easily "transferred").

If you are asking if you can essentially "clone" (i.e. including the Window install) the old computer drive to the new computer drive (or maybe even put the old computer's drive in the new computer), then again this is something that either cannot be done (i.e. an OEM license of Windows that ships with a manufactured computer is generally "hardware locked" to that specific brand (and potentially model) of computer...so it will generally not run on a different computer...and an OEM license "legally" ties that license to that computer) or is a real pain in the rear to do (i.e. have to essentially clear out all the hardware specific hardware drivers and install the drivers for the hardware on the new computer).

#3 Lilly123

Lilly123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:12 AM

Thank you for your reply.

The old PC is still running. I don't want to 'clone' the computer on to the new, I just want to transfer my folders and files. 

OK I have a few questions about Windows Easy Transfer. Can I use the same External Hard Drive that I used for my previous backup? Also, My old PC is Windows 7, and the new one is Windows 8.1. Are there any issues with this?

Thanks so much for your time :)

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:43 AM

Thank you for your reply.

The old PC is still running. I don't want to 'clone' the computer on to the new, I just want to transfer my folders and files. 

OK I have a few questions about Windows Easy Transfer. Can I use the same External Hard Drive that I used for my previous backup?

I don't know for sure, but I suspect you can...assuming you have enough space available. I believe it will put everything in one file or maybe a folder. Here is a tutorial for doing it using an external drive, which states that it uses one file: http://www.digitalcitizen.life/what-windows-easy-transfer-how-backup-your-data-transfer

It looks like Windows 8.1's version of Windows Easy Transfer has been crippled by Microsoft. It appears you can still use it to import the transfer data from an external drive, but no longer supports network transfers and maybe not direct transfers using a transfer cable. So, it should still work for you if you use the external drive. This link (in addition to the one above) should help: http://www.howtogeek.com/211256/how-to-quickly-transfer-your-files-and-settings-to-a-new-pc-or-mac/

Also, My old PC is Windows 7, and the new one is Windows 8.1. Are there any issues with this?

Thanks so much for your time :)

No. Windows Easy Transfer is primarily aimed at transferring your files from an old computer to a new computer, which will many times mean going from a computer with an older version of Windows to one with a newer version.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:29 AM

Lily123, if all you're wanting to do is copy DATA folders and files from the old computer to the new computer, there might be a couple of simpler ways.  If on the old computer you know where the data folders and files are, and on the new computer you know where you want the data folders and files to be -- there are a couple EZ ways.  I have copied and moved many data folders and files amongst my three computers over here.  Mostly via ethernet/wireless folder/file sharing.  I kind of lost track, what connects your two computers?  Ethernet?  Wireless? usb to usb cable?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 07:28 AM

Lily123, if all you're wanting to do is copy DATA folders and files from the old computer to the new computer, there might be a couple of simpler ways.  If on the old computer you know where the data folders and files are, and on the new computer you know where you want the data folders and files to be -- there are a couple EZ ways.  I have copied and moved many data folders and files amongst my three computers over here.  Mostly via ethernet/wireless folder/file sharing.

Windows Easy Transfer is very easy to use (I will note that it is not as nice as the Mac OS X's Migration Assistant...MA can also transfer programs/applications :grinner:...sorry for the "shameless Mac plug"). It finds everything for you...including if it is in "non-standard" areas if my memory serves me correct. No need to know where stuff is located, unless there are things you want to exclude.

I kind of lost track, what connects your two computers?  Ethernet?  Wireless? usb to usb cable?

The original poster has not say what, if any, network connections there present.

Plus, I will note that file sharing can sometimes be a pain to setup on Windows computers running different versions of Windows due to Windows Networking. This is partially due to Microsoft changing the default Windows Workgroup from Windows version to version in some of the recent upgrades. It has been a while since I messed with Windows Networking as I now make use of a NAS that can act as an "intermediary" for transferring files from one computer to another...or just have the files stored on to begin with, so it may have gotten better with recent versions of Windows. I do know that I had some fits trying to get sharing setup between a Windows XP and Windows 7 computer at one point.

Edited by smax013, 26 June 2016 - 07:30 AM.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 07:50 AM

"...I do know that I had some fits trying to get sharing setup between a Windows XP and Windows 7 computer at one point. .." -- smax013   Earlier I had troubles with WXP and W7!   I think scuttlebutt elsewhere indicates it's a little easier amongst W7, W8+, W10.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users