Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken Laptop, I suspect it's the keyboard

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:22 PM

A buddy handed me their acer aspire 7551 and said “it's broken, if you can fix it you can have it”.
Here are the symptoms:
Laptop comes on and says: “Windows shut down improperly” and gives me all the normal options like starting in safe mode, resume as normal etc. Problem is, I can't select any option.

Tried putting a linux flashdrive in the USB drive. It won't boot from USB.
Tried to go to bios to tell it to boot from USB, can't get into BIOS.
The startup screen even tells me press F2 for options. It just doesn't work, it always takes me to that “Windows has shut down improperly” screen.

It acts like the keyboard is broke. I looked all over for a physical switch that may enable/disable keyboard (my mother's computer had a button to disable mouse pad), found no such button.
The keyboard has sustained damage a couple of years ago, 5 of the keys are missing, I think he dropped it, or his dog walked on it, or something. But the computer had always worked (minus those keys) until now.

Other symptoms:
The first time I put a linux flash drive in the USB, the speaker started rapid beeping and then one long beep, and shut itself down. I know those beep codes normally indicate damaged RAM or CPU. But those codes normally have a few beeps, not 15 to 30.
I thought it might be an over heating warning. But it makes no sense why it keeps letting me turn it on, keeps hanging at that windows screen, won't even let me get to BIOS. It just seems to me if it were CPU, RAM or overheating, if it could get to the windows boot error, It'd let me get to BIOS, or that beeping problems would occur each time, not just that one time.

Every time it goes to the “Windows Improperly Shut Down” screen, it turns itself off after 20 or 30 seconds.

So what do you guys think? Is this just a broken keyboard? Like maybe the damaged keyboard has a stuck key?
Any ideas on how to do further diagnostics?

My computer hardware knowledge is: I've built my own gaming desktop, little rusty on some of the details these days, never opened a lap top, not afraid to try because google is my friend. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:13 PM

Have you tried a USB keyboard? Here is the teardown guide. You can disconnect the ribbon cable for the keyboard and attach a USB keyboard. See if you can access the boot menu by tapping F12 with your USB flash drive attached.

Edit: If everything works with the keyboard ribbon disconnected and using a USB keyboard you can purchase a new keyboard on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Acer-Aspire-7739-7739Z-7739G-7739ZG-7551-7551G-series-laptop-Keyboard-/160788099537

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 June 2016 - 08:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users